• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ask not what the boards can do for you, but what etc etc... please read!

As everybody knows, Morrus and Piratecat have been trying to solve the problems of running these boards with the huge amount of traffic they're getting by turning off several features.

However YOU can help reduce the load on the server without leaving your chair, without paying a single penny, yes indeed, without changing any of your forum browsing habits!

Too good to believe?

Trust me. If you go into your user controlpanel (click the "user cp" button right under the top banner), and click on the "edit options" link, you are presented with a staggering amount of ways to customize your visit on the EN World Messageboards. What you are looking for is the option "Default Thread View:"

Found it? Good.

Now, it's probably set to "forum default" or something like that, but it doesn't need to be: If you are like me, you stop by the EN Boards daily. Thus, there really is no reason for the boards to show more than the last 2 days of active topics for instance. Perhaps you prefer a bit longer time range, but try to cut it back to the range you normally browse thru.

Remember that if you want to find an older thread it's easy-peasy to make the forum display older threads by clicking on those links under the list of threads. The value I enter in the user cp is thus just the time range I normally browse through when I visit.

If you have other suggestions to how to help keep the bandwith and server load low, post them in this thread. :)

Another way to reduce bandwith is by - if you are using Opera - only showing cached images. That way, when you reload a page, you only reload the text, not the icons, buttons, avatars and signature pictures (those last two is disabled right now, but hopefully it's only temporarily)

No. But some of the strain comes from the fact that the boards is coded to be as browserfriendly as possible. If you made a new userselectable style for those browsers with full HTML4 and CSS2 support I'll wager you would be able to shave 15 to 20K off the forum display pages.

William Ronald

Explorer
I have already taken the steps that Left-handed Hummingbird recommends.

As per Piratecat's suggestion, I would like to say that L-h HB is showing concern for his fellow EN Boarders. We need more of that around here.

So, start cloning yourself, Left Handed Hummingbird!!:)

Ace

Adventurer
Thanks LHB!
Another option might be to turn of the Avatars and other images I believe that might help as well.

Also Keep your posts mostly on topic and cogent. I like a lot of the OT posts but they do eat a lot of bandwith so keep the numbers down please....

Remove ads