• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ask the Shadowrun line developer stuff

coyote6

Adventurer
IIRC, they're working with CoolMiniOrNot on the minis.

And now I shall continue Abstruse's numbering:

6) If I recall correctly, CMON is known for some wildly successful Kickstarter campaigns (Sedition Wars, Relic Knights, etc); is Sprawl Gangers going to go through Kickstarter?

7) When can I give you my money for Sprawl Gangers?

8) WHEN?!?

Abstruse

Legend
IIRC, they're working with CoolMiniOrNot on the minis.

And now I shall continue Abstruse's numbering:

6) If I recall correctly, CMON is known for some wildly successful Kickstarter campaigns (Sedition Wars, Relic Knights, etc); is Sprawl Gangers going to go through Kickstarter?

7) When can I give you my money for Sprawl Gangers?

8) WHEN?!?
CGL has enough capital they haven't gone the Kickstarter route yet (if they were, they would've done it with SR5 which would've hit seven figures easy based on straight sales numbers). Between the Shadowrun and Battletech licenses still doing strong, CGL shouldn't have to go the KS route for funding for a while (which leaves them, Wizards of the Coast, and Paizo as the only major RPG companies left that haven't switched to straight KS funding after White Wolf and Green Ronan made the switch).

Abstruse

Legend
Any plans for a CGL Character Generator?

I know I keep stepping on Jason's toes here, but I can't help myself...

HeroLabs are in the process of updating their Shadowrun character generator to 5th Edition. There's no set release date, but speculation is sometime this fall.

Most Shadowrun character generators are actually fan-made, like NSRCG for 3rd Edition and Chummer for 4th. Unfortunately, neither of the people behind those projects are going to move onto 5th edition, so someone else will have to pick up the mantle. There's already an Excel spreadsheet character generator, but it's hard to use and a bit buggy (considering the speed it was put together, I can't say that I mind all that much).

Yeah, I knew about HeroLab, but last time I checked it was the same price as a new corebook. Quite expensive for the benefit since I already had to buy a corebook. That's why I asked about a CGL Chargen.

Szander

First Post
The sidebar for matrix perception on pg. 235 lists "If you know at least one feature of an icon running silent, you can spot the icon (Running Silent, below)." as one of the options. When prompted for a clarification Aaron answered with the following.
"I can tell you what the author (me1) intended as the definition of the term feature: an important or main item. So if your target has an Ingram Smartgun and fifty shades of stealth RFIDs, all in hidden mode, you can narrow your search to "that Ingram Smartgun right there" and you don't have to worry about the tags. Of course, if there are other hidden Ingram Smartguns in the vicinity, your GM is quite justified, I think, in making you select from them at random."
He went on to add the following admonition.
1Just because I wrote the chapter doesn't make me the Grand Arbiter of the Matrix Rules; there are only a couple-three people who get to make word-is-law pronouncements about the official Shadowrun So rules, and I'm not one of 'em. That's especially true at your table, so check with your GM.
So I am asking the powers that be if they agree with that interpretation.

tylermalan

First Post
Yeah, programs get changed. They no longer have a rating, so they no longer add that rating as dice to your test. Instead, they add different enhancements. For example, Armor gives you bonus dice to resist Matrix damage, Decryption gives a +1 bonus to your Attack attribute (which serves as a limit on some Matrix actions), and Fork lets you perform a single Matrix action on two targets.

Jason H.

So, when you run a program, say, Search... Or is that more of an action? So you want to search for a node, and your hacker decides to search in the matrix, what happens? You have a search program? Or you do the search action, and you use which stat?

Nevermind, this has turned into a ridiculous question.

I thought programs, in 4E, WERE the actions, sorta. So, you use a "Search" program to search for nodes, and you would combine the program's rating with one of your ability ratings to make the dice pool.

So now, if programs don't have ratings, what makes the dice pool?

Abstruse

Legend
So, when you run a program, say, Search... Or is that more of an action? So you want to search for a node, and your hacker decides to search in the matrix, what happens? You have a search program? Or you do the search action, and you use which stat?

Nevermind, this has turned into a ridiculous question.

I thought programs, in 4E, WERE the actions, sorta. So, you use a "Search" program to search for nodes, and you would combine the program's rating with one of your ability ratings to make the dice pool.

So now, if programs don't have ratings, what makes the dice pool?

The dice pool is Attribute + Skill with a limit based on your gear (in this case your deck). Just like everything else in the game. Makes things a lot easier. What programs do varies based on the program, but they all give you bonuses. One might give you +1 damage on your Attack, one might increase your limit on a test or decrease the threshold, etc. They all have some sort of benefit and it's not tied to a rating, which again, just makes things so much easier. I'd go into more detail, but the Matrix rules are so damn simple now that I'd almost just be quoting directly from the book.

Remove ads