• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Asking for Tips for newbie 3.5 Wizard

Kulstor

First Post
I have been playing in a 3.5 ebberon campaign and the gm there suggested maybe I could ask for some tips and such here since I'm new to the D & D system. I've played mainly gurps and bits of some other systems. Way back I did briefly play a 2nd edition cleric.

Not sure what information you need I"ll put some down.

My character is a Warforged wizard who just got to 2nd level. The other folks in the party are 2 clerics and a thief.

He has all level 0 spells from the 3.5 player's hand book.

The 1st level spells in his spellbook are: Cause Fear, Charm Person, Color Spray, Magic Missile, Repair Light Damage, Silent Image, Sleep, Summon Monster 1

He has some scrolls he has bought and 2 he made :

Charm Person, Comprehend Languages, Detect Secret Doors, Mage Armor, Reduce Person, Repair Light Damage, Unseen Servant.

The gm uses a spell point system. Not sure if it is an alternative system in the dmg, elsewhere or or one he made up. As such my char has 3 spell points since he is now level 1. If I recall what he said 1st level spells take 1 point to cast, level 2 take 2, though my char doesn't have any access to 2nd level spells yet so that is not important yet. Also he has no familiar. Not sure if I want one yet or not or which one.

Just asking, I guess, for general tips, best uses for certain spells, which ones I may want to get as scroll of , and or put into my spell book. I was thinking maybe putting mage armor into the char's spell book since the group is small my char often engages in melee whether he wants to or not. Not sure if you want any other info like his stats, ect.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I usually play oddball mages, so I'm not going to tell you what I'd do with your PC.

If nobody like [MENTION=6562]Nifft[/MENTION], [MENTION=85158]Dandu[/MENTION] or [MENTION=478]Thanee[/MENTION] shows up- top flight optimizers all, esp. for spellcasters- see if you can track down a copy of Goodman Games' Power Gamers 3.5 Wizard Strategy Guide. Not only does it tell you what to do, it tells you why. With statistical data to back up their position.

TanisFrey

First Post
There is a spell point system in Unearthed Arcana. That may be where he is drawing it from. It is common for low level wizards to engage in melee, mage armor lasts for 1 per level and effects you touch AC. This makes it very useful to you.

Kulstor

First Post
Thanks. I have quite a bit to read so far and likely to think about.

How would grease be useful, just making an area briefly very slippery?

I was thinking of putting mage armor into my char's spell book so he could use the spell often since, as I said above, my char is often in melee combat whether he likes it or not. In that way for 2 hours (due to his current level) his ac would go from 12 to 16, which I guess is ok for a wizard.)

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Just like in the movies, those within the AoE of a Grease spell have trouble moving around or even retaining their footing.

In addition, it can be targeted on an object, making it difficult to grasp. Handy if a foe is tearing up your party with a weapon or magic item.

It can also come in handy if someone in your party is fighting a grappler- it adds +10 to his escape checks.

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
Once, I was in a party which fought 3 Orogs (FR setting monster, think nastier and meaner Orcs) in a tunnel. They were carrying greatswords and wearing full plate. Our party was worried, as we only had two melee characters at the moment, and they were Monks multiclassed with Favored Soul and Ranger, respectively.

First round, I cast Grease and caused one to trip and immobilized the other because he could not make the balance check to move off due to their armor.

The third Orog was not in the area of effect and moved up to engage the party.

The second round of combat, I cast Grease on his greatsword, causing him to drop it. The other two were unable to contribute to the fight as they were still hindered by the Grease.

This continued for a while until they gave up and surrendered.

Last edited:

ShadesOfGrey

Explorer
Spells like grease and sleep are pretty good at lvl 1 or other low levels, I wouldn't worry about doing (direct) damage until you have access to spells like fireball and the like, at lower levels other party members will (probably) outdo you on the damage part, so dont spend the few spells you have each day on stuff like that.
I'd only go with magic missile if I'd expect to fight a spellcaster and need something to interrupt a spell or something, as the guaranteed hit is pretty good for that.

But yeah, until you become very powerful, take spells that give you tactical options instead of just doing damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads