• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aspects of the Four Horseman

quigsworth

First Post
I created these guys for my campaign. To sum up the back story a lich has harnessed the powers of an eldritch engine and created four powerful undead.

Aspect of Death
Medium Undead
Hite Dice:
16d12 (104)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30ft., 40ft. fly (good), base speed 40ft, 50ft. fly
Armor Class: 26 (+4 Dex, +7 +2 breastplate, + 5 Natural) touch 14, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+13
Attack: +2 scythe +16 (2d4 +7)
Full Attack: +2 scythe +16/+11 (2d4+7)
Space/Reach: 5ft. /5ft
Special Attacks: Death touch, the dead shall rise
Special Qualities:
+4 turn resistance, Aura of Desecration, damage reduction 10/ bludgeon and magic, Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to cold, electricity, polymorph, and mind effects, spell-like abilities, SR 23, undead traits.
Saves: Fort +4 Ref +8 Will +11
Abilities: Str 20 Dex 18 Con - Int 17 Wis 17 Cha 20
Skills: Concentrate +12, Heal +15, Intimidate +17, Knowledge (any two) +15, Spot +15, Spellcraft +15
Feats: Quickened Spell-like Ability (Vampiric touch), Weapon Focus (scythe), Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Power Attack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary plus (1d6 medium skeletons, 1d6 medium zombies, 1d2 ghouls)
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Standard plus +2 breastplate and +2 scythe
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

A skeletal figure dressed in tattered black robes glides across the ground wielding a scythe that pulses with a crimson aura. Two blood red eyes peer into your soul and you feel the icy cold touch of death.

The Aspect of Death kills without mercy and walks across the world with his army of undead created by his scythe. The Aspect of Death leaves his trace wherever he goes, for undead will be found there. The army that he raises he uses to cause more death and destruction throughout the world that he walks.
Aspect of Death can speak Common, Infernal, and Abyssal

Combat
The Aspect of Death uses his quickened vampiric touch every round to heal himself. He flies above the battlefield swooping down on enemies that are not being mobbed by his undead army. Usually spellcasters or archers, he also despises anyone that can destroy his glorious creations and will try to kill a cleric with extreme prejudice.
The Aspect of Death's natural weapons, or weapons he wields, are treated as evil-aligned for the purposes of damage reduction.
Death Touch (Su): The Aspect of Death may use the Death domain’s Death Touch ability once per day. He uses this ability as a 14th level cleric.
The Dead Shall Rise (Su): When the Aspect of Death kills a living creature with his scythe it raises as an undead in 1d4 rounds. The type of undead that rises is dependent on the hit dice of the creature slain. 1-2 HD it rises as a ghoul, 3-4 HD it rises as a ghast, 5-8 HD wight, 8-11 HD boneclaw*, 12-15 mohrg, 16-20 Devourer. A character that rises as an undead may only be brought back to life with a limited wish, miracle, or wish spell. A creature slain within the bounds of a consecrate or hallow spell will not rises as an undead, nor will a creature under the effects of a death ward, dispel evil, or holy aura. If a gentle repose spell is cast on the slain character before he rises it will negate this effect.
The Aspect of Death is treated as a 20th level cleric to determine how many hit dice he can control.
*MMIII p.17
Spell-like Abilities: At will - greater dispel magic, unholy blight (DC 19), vampiric touch, 1/day enervation (DC 19). Caster level 14th. DC is Charisma-based.
Aura of Desecration (Su): The Aspect of Death permanently emanates an aura that acts as if under the effects of desecrate spell cast on an altar. This aura grants all undead within 20’ +2 profane bonus to all attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws. Furthermore all turn checks in the area suffer a -6 profane penalty on turning checks.

Aspect of Famine
Medium Undead
Hit Dice:
12d12 (78 hp)
Initiative: +11
Speed: 30 ft (6 squares), Fly 80ft. (good)
Armor Class: 25 (+7 dex, +8 natural), touch 17, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+9
Attack: Touch +13 melee (1d8 +5 negative energy plus 1d6 Con)
Full Attack: Touch +13 melee (1d8+5 negative energy plus 1d6 Con)
Space/Reach: 5ft. /5ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, damaging touch
Special Qualities: +4 turn resistance, corrupt water, damage reduction 10/ Slashing and magic, Darkvision 60ft., immunity to cold, electricity, polymorph, and mind influencing effects, fast healing 5, spell-like abilities, spell resistance 22, undead traits, vulnerability to holy water and fire
Save: Fort +4 Ref +11 Will +11
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 25, Con -, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 20
Skills: Bluff +12, Concentration +12, Disguise +15, Intimidate +15, Knowledge (religion) +13, Search +13, Spot +13, Spellcraft +13
Feats: Empower Spell-like ability (Ray of Enfeeblement), Quicken Spell-like ability (Ray of Enfeeblement), Combat Expertise, Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse, Ability Focus (breath weapon)
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: No coins, double goods, standard items
Alignment:
Always Neutral Evil

A gaunt humanoid with soulless black eye sockets hovers a few inches off the ground with a wicked grin on his face. Skin pulled tight over bone this creature looks like it would have died from starvation long ago.

The Aspect of Famine is a creature that has been created with pure negative energy, but its sole purpose in life is to spread famine and destroy all life slowly and painfully. It delights in the suffering of others and will use subterfuge to get its job done. Using its unholy ability to suck the moisture and nutrients from any living thing it touches it dries its prey to lifeless husks. Whenever an Aspect of Famine comes to wreak havoc on the mortal realm it leaves a trail that can be easily followed. An Aspect of Famine usually stands about 6 feet tall and weighs a meager 100 pounds.
Aspects of Famine speak Common, Infernal, and Abyssal.

Combat
The Aspect of Famine enjoys using his waves of exhaustion on fighter types. The Aspect uses quickened Ray of Enfeeblements to further weaken the fighters, and targets any spell casters or archers with unholy blight. If any of his enemies seem to be immune to his spell casting abilities he goes into melee to try and drain their constitution. A very arrogant creature, the Aspect of Famine thinks himself above mortals and will not flee from them.
The Aspect of Famine’s natural weapons are treated as evil-aligned for the purposes of damage reduction.
Breath Weapon (Su): The Aspect of Famine can breathe a cloud of choking dust that sucks the moisture out of all living creatures caught within its effect. 30-foot cone, once every 1d4 rounds (but no more than five times per day), 10d6 points of damage, Fortitude DC 23 for half. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Damaging Touch (Su): The Aspect of Famine's touch attack uses negative energy to deal 1d8+3 points of damage to living creatures and 1d6 points of Constitution; a Fortitude save (DC 21) halves the Constitution damage.
Corrupt Water (Sp): Once per day the Aspect of Famine can stagnate 10 cubic feet of water, making it become sill, foul, and unable to support animal life. The ability spoils liquids containing water. Magic items (such as potions) and items in a creature's possession must succeed on a Will save (DC 19) or become fouled. This ability is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell. The range is 180ft. radius.
Spell-like Abilities: At will - Ray of Enfeeblement, Greater Teleport (self only plus 50 lbs), unholy blight, (DC 19), greater dispel magic 1/day Waves of Exhaustion. Caster Level 14th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
Vulnerability to Holy Water (Ex): An Aspect of Famine takes double damage from a vial of holy water, this damage is considered holy for the purposes of regeneration.

Aspect of Pestilence
Large Undead
Hit Dice:
16d12 +80 (184 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20ft. in +2 breastplate (4 squares); base speed 30ft.
Armor Class: 26 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +7 +2 breastplate, +8 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+22
Attack: +2 Battleaxe +19 melee (2d6+12)
Full Attack: +2 Battleaxe +19/+14 melee (2d6+12) and +1 sickle +19/+14 (1d8+6)
Space/Reach: 10ft. / 10ft.
Special Attacks: Corrupt wounds, Stench
Special Qualities: +4 turn resistance, damage reduction 10/ bludgeon and magic, Darkvision 60ft., immunity to cold, electricity, polymorph, and mind effects, spell-like abilities, spell resistance 21, undead traits
Saves: Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +13
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 15, Con - , Int 7, Wis 20, Cha 21
Skills: Climb +10, Concentrate +16, Intimidate +12, Jump +10, Spot +10
Feats: Two-weapon fighting, Improved Two-weapon fighting, weapon focus (Battleaxe), weapon focus (sickle), Ability Focus (Stench), Quicken Spell-like ability (Contagion)
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: no coins, double goods, standard items, plus +2 breastplate, +2 battleaxe, and +1 sickle
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil

A large humanoid wrapped in rotting robes stands before you with a horrible stench of decay in the air, with each footstep a path of decay is created as vegetation is destroyed and the ground scorched by his unholy presence.

The Aspect of Pestilence is not the smartest of the four horseman. He wanders from town to town spreading his pestilence across the land. He enjoys watching his diseases take effect on those that are currently suffering from one of his "masterpieces". He stands about 8 feet tall and weighs close to five hundred pounds.
Aspect of Pestilence understands Infernal and Abyssal, but does not speak even though his intelligence is high enough.

Combat
The Aspect of Pestilence tries to infect someone with his quickened contagion ability every round. The Aspect of Pestilence tries to get into close combat as fast as possible since most of his spell-like abilities are touch and because he knows he's a powerful combatant.
The Aspect of Pestilence's natural weapons, or weapons he wields, are treated as evil-aligned for the purposes of damage reduction.
Corrupt Wounds (Ex): The damage a Aspect of Pestilence a deal doesn’t heal naturally and resists healing spells. A character attempting to cast a conjuration (healing) spell on a creature damaged by an Aspect of Pestilence must succeed on a DC 26 caster level check, or the spell has no effect on the injured character.
Stench (Ex): An Aspect of Pestilence's skin produces a foul odor of decay. Any living creature within 10 feet must succeed on a DC 24 Fortitude save or be nauseated for as long as it remains within the affected area and for 1d4 rounds afterward. Creatures that successfully save cannot be affected again by the same Aspect of Pestilence's stench for 24 hours. A delay poison or neutralize poison spell removes either condition from one creature. Creatures that have immunity to poison are unaffected and creatures resistant to poison receive their normal bonus on the saving throws. The save DC is Charisma based with a +4 racial modifier.
Unholy Toughness (Ex): Aspect of Pestilence adds his charisma modifier to each hit dice in substitution of constitution.
Spell-like abilities: At will - Contagion (DC 18), Poison (DC 19) greater dispel magic, 3/day Plague of Rats* (DC 20). Caster level 14th. Save DCs are Charisma-based.
*Spell found in Complete Divine.

Aspect of War
Large Undead
Hit Dice:
16d12 + 80 (184)
Initiative:+2
Speed: 30ft. (6 squares), base speed 40ft.
Armor Class: 30 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +9 +1spiked mithral fullplate, +3 +1 spiked heavy steel shield, +7 Natural) touch 11, flat-footed 28
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+23
Attack: +2 Battleaxe +21 (2d6 +13)
Full Attack: +2 Battleaxe +21/+16 (2d6+13)
Space/Reach: 10tf. /10ft.
Special Attacks: Rage, Unholy wounding
Special Qualities: +4 turn resistance, damage reduction 10/ piercing and magic, Darkvision 60ft., immunity to cold, electricity, polymorph, and mind effects, spell-like abilities, spell resistance 22, undead traits, unholy toughness
Saves: Fort +5 Ref +9 Will +13
Abilities: Str 32 Dex 14 Con - Int 13 Wis 17 Cha 20
Skills: Concentrate +16, Intimidate +21, Knowledge +13 (any two), Spot +15, Search +13
Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Combat Brute*, Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Lightning Reflexes
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: Standard plus +1 spiked fullplate, +1 spiked heavy shield, and +2 battleaxe
Alignment: Neutral Evil

A large monstrosity of what was once a man stands before you dressed in spiked armor and shield. It wields a large battleaxe that constantly drips with blood. Two unholy red eyes look down at you from the darkness of his helm.

The Aspect of War knows one thing, war, it's all he cares about and it's all that he wishes to cause. He will attack anything that is still breathing, not stopping until there is nothing to wage war against. A creature of pure hatred and strife, the only things that he does not attack are undead, viewing most of them as weaklings because they have already been defeated. The exception are undead that willingly become undead, such as liches.
The Aspect of War can speak Common, Infernal, and Abyssal

Combat
The Aspect of War does not banter; he just wades into combat using his combat feats to their full extent. He will cast dispel magic if someone has cast a combat empowering spell on one of his current opponents. He will also cast Divine Power on himself before he enters battle, followed by an unholy blight if he is being annoyed by spellcasters or archers.
Rage (Ex): The Aspect of War can fly into a rage at will. In a rage the Aspect of War gains phenomenal strength but becomes reckless and less able to defend himself. He temporarily gains a +6 to Strength and a +2 moral bonus on Will saves, but he takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. While raging, the Aspect of War cannot use any Charisma, Dexterity, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feats he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the Aspect of War's Charisma modifier.
Unholy Toughness (Su): The Aspect of War adds his Charisma bonus to his hit dice in place of his Constitution score.
Unholy Wounding (Su): The damage the Aspect of War deals with his battleaxe causes a persistent wound. And injured creature loses 2 additional hit points each round. The wound does not heal natural and resists healing spells. The continuing hit point loss can be stopped by a DC 18 Heal check, a cure spell, or a heal spell. However, a character attempting to cast a cure spell, or a heal spell on a creature damaged by the Aspect of War's battleaxe must succeed on a DC 18 caster level check, or the spell has no effect on the injured character. A successful Heal check automatically stops the continuing hit point loss as well as restoring hit points. The unholy wounding is a supernatural ability of the Aspect of War, not the weapon. The check DC is Charisma based.
Spell-like Abilities (Su): At will - greater dispel magic, unholy blight (DC 19), divine power. Caster Level 14th. The save DC is Charisma-based.

*Feat from Complete Warrior

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I like 'em. Three questions/points.

1) Why don't all four of them have Unholy Toughness? And I'd consider boosting the CR of the two that do by one or two points.

2) The Aspect of Famine has regeneration. Although this isn't exactly illegal by the rules, since undead are immune to non-lethal damage, it's not exactly kosher (I hate to say it's broken, but 'tis true). I'd suggest replacing it with fast healing and maybe fire vulnerability.

3) I might suggest, since their natural weapons count as evil, that you replace the magic component of their DR with good.

Demiurge out.

pyrobob

First Post
another quick look:

aspect of famine: hp shud b 78, BAB/grapple shud b +6/+9, making touch attack +13

aspect of pestilence: touch AC shud b 11, flatfooted AC 24, sickle dmg shud b 1d8+11

aspect of death: touch AC 11, battle axe attack bonus shud b +21/+16

COOOOL. imagine all four riding together... against my players.... ::shiver:: :]

quigsworth

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
I like 'em. Three questions/points.

1) Why don't all four of them have Unholy Toughness? And I'd consider boosting the CR of the two that do by one or two points.

2) The Aspect of Famine has regeneration. Although this isn't exactly illegal by the rules, since undead are immune to non-lethal damage, it's not exactly kosher (I hate to say it's broken, but 'tis true). I'd suggest replacing it with fast healing and maybe fire vulnerability.

3) I might suggest, since their natural weapons count as evil, that you replace the magic component of their DR with good.

Demiurge out.

1.) I didn't give unholy toughness to Death and Famine for a couple of reasons.
Death usually is not encountered alone, be it the party cleric will most likely poof them all even with the Aura of Desecration. Death can also fly and use unholy blight while he is up there, he also isn't as combat oriented as Pestilence and War.
Famine flies above the battlefield using his spell-like abilities to cripple the party and then comes in to smack them once and a while with his damaging touch. He can also greater teleport at will if he needs to get away.

Pestilence and War are already one higher, but I do realize that they both have unusual weapon types for their DR, especially War. So yes they could probably use another +1 to their CR. I havn't play tested these guys yet, I'll probably do that his weekend.

2.) Thank you for pointing that out. It was something that I over looked, I completely forgot that undead were immune to non-lethal damage. I have changed him accordingly.

3.) I thought about it, but I think that would definately increase their CR's by one. Unless aligned weapon DR doesn't increase CR's because it's figured the average party cleric can grant the main fighter with an align weapon or similar spell.

Thanks for the response, it always help having someone else's point of view.

pyrobob said:
another quick look:

aspect of famine: hp shud b 78, BAB/grapple shud b +6/+9, making touch attack +13

aspect of pestilence: touch AC shud b 11, flatfooted AC 24, sickle dmg shud b 1d8+11

aspect of death: touch AC 11, battle axe attack bonus shud b +21/+16

COOOOL. imagine all four riding together... against my players.... ::shiver:: :]

Thanks for the edit. Although I believe the sickle should still only be +6, remember off-hand weapons recieve only half strenght to damage.

I also have an idea for each one to be riding a homebrewed steed.

Death - a nasty skeletal horse with a enervation breath or something nasty like that.

Famine - a gaunt horse you has a similar damaging touch ability.

Pestilence - a diseased horse that pukes bile or diseased rat swarms.

War - probably just an advanced nightmare.

pyrobob

First Post
quigsworth said:
Although I believe the sickle should still only be +6, remember off-hand weapons recieve only half strenght to damage.
oops sry thats right

it seems a lot of people make the four horsemen, but everyone makes them differently. I've seen like 3 different versions: one was outsiders, one had the horses part of the entities, one had them as incorporeal. now we have a not-so-epic (that is ,non munchkin as far as i'm concerned) version of undead. very cool, and very usable for the conservative dm (like me)

Last edited:

Ferret

Explorer
Where Mrs war? And where are little panic and terror? Hmm!

I like these, I haven't seen anything in them that hasn'tt been said.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads