• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Assassin of the House of Beasts (prestige class)

StGabe

First Post
For my campaign I am unleashing a series of special prestige classes related to various "houses" of God's. These prestige classes are not intended to be balanced against regular PC classes -- they are effectively 1.5x of a regular class level. The idea is that these are only accessible under various circumstances, most unknown to the players, and that the classes are balanced both by the restricted access and moreso by the handing out keys to these prestige classes as magic items or in lieu of magic items (i.e. the sorts of boosts players get from magic items are intended to be partially dealt out in these prestige classes and one of the drawbacks of choosing one of these classes is that it will preclude choosing other such classes).

Here's my first go, if one of my players continues down the right path she will unlock access to the following class. Please lemme know what you think. How much more powerful than a regular class is this and do you have any further suggestions? I realize I'm not matching 3e wording and format exactly but I don't have any books here and I just want to get the idea on paper (or in pixels as it were). One ability that I am thinking about changing is the 3rd level bonus to make it a better "cap" ability.

---

Assassin of the House of Beasts
Hit Die: 1d6
BAB: +1 per level
Saves: as per the first 3 levels of rogue
Skill points: 4x + int bonus
Skills Available: As per Assassin Prestige Class
Weapons & Armor: The class does not bestow any new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Description: The House of Beasts is an old House, long ago thought to have disappeared or to have been displaced by the House of Storms. Few know that it exists today. As with many Houses, the House of Beasts infrequently selects champions from among mortals. Champions of the House of Beasts are given guidance through a guardian beast and it usually through this guardian beast that the wishes of the house are communicated to the Champion. Champions are also recognizable by tattoos which represent their guardian beast and cover most of their body (more of the body is covered as the relationship between the champion and house grows). Assassins, are uncommonly chosen as Champions and are usually accompanied by a large, wild cat of some sort. It is the Assassin's job to slay the enemies of the house, to infiltrate and gather information about the house's enemies or, in times of war, the Assassin may be expected to lead an elite unit of House assassins or scouts.

Requirements:
Candidate champions of the House of Beasts are offered enchanted bracers which act as a conduit to a specific guardian beast. Once put on, these bracers may only be removed with a remove curse spell (cast by a priest of 10th level or greater) or in the event that the wearer is deemed unworthy to be a champion. When a worthy person (worthiness is determined by the DM, generally someone who meets the requirements for the job description and is not strongly affiliated to another house) wears the bracers for at least 3 days they will be visited in a dream by their chosen guardian beast (for an assassin a wild cat of some sort). This visit is the first of 3 tests and during it the guardian will lead the wearer through a number of challenges which test the wearers willingness to follow the guardian beast above other concerns (i.e. they may see a loved one near death and will need to demonstrate willingness to follow the guardian above concern for their loved one). In the second test, the guardian will appear as a vision in real life and will guide the wearer through a task, usually an assassination of an enemy of the house. It is expected that the Assassin will accomplish this task alone. Finally, a third and greater task will be asked of the wearer, again in a dream. This may involve the consecration of a shrine to the House of Beasts, the cleansing of a defiled shrine, destruction of a larger enemy or group of enemies of the House, etc. This task may be accomplished with the aid of others. Having passed these three tests the wearer will now be considered a 0-level Assassin of the House of Beasts. Also the bracers will disappear to be replaced by an intricate tattoo covering much of the Assassin's arms and designed in a style similar to their guardian beast. If the wearer fails any of these tests they will be deemed unworthy and the bracers will immediately fall off their arms. Anyone who is deemed unworthy of wearing the bracers but attempts to wear them anyway will take 1d6 damage for each round that they wear the bracers (no save). After being accepted as an Assassin of the House of Beasts the champion may take further levels of Assassin under the following restriction: the champion may only take 1st level if they are already CL4, 2nd level if they are already CL6 and 3rd level if they are already CL8.

0th level abilities: A 0th level Assassin of Beasts gains a +2 divine bonus to both Strength and Dexterity as well as a +2 armor bonus to AC (see clothing restrictions below).
1st level abilities: At 1st level the Assassin's tattoos cover their upper shoulders and continue down to their hands. The assassin now has a +3 armor bonus to AC. The assassin also gains access to an animal companion, their guardian beast. This animal companion has stats as though it were a druidic animal companion and the Assassin had a druid level equal to their CL.
2nd level abilities: At 2nd level the Assassin's tattoos cover their hands and partially cover their face. The assassin's armor bonus to AC increases to +4. The assassin gains a +2 divine bonus to move silently and hide skill checks. The assassin also gains 1d6 sneak attack damage as though they were a rogue (this stacks with any other sneak attack damage they already have).
3rd level abilities: At 3rd level the Assassin's tattoos cover most of their body. The assassin's armor bonus to AC increases to +5. The assassin gains a further +2 divine bonus to Strength and Dexterity.

Leaving the House
If the Assassin severs their ties to the house or is removed from their role then they lose access to their animal companion and all divine bonuses. The assassin may atone and regain these abilities as long as they do so within 1 year. During that year the tattoos smudge and disappear and after 1 year will be completely gone and the Assassin will never regain these abilities.

Clothing/Armor Restriction
Divine and armor bonuses gained with the class are only available as long as the Assassin makes no effort to or allows anyone to cover their tattoos except to the extent that it is necessary to wear clothing to meet basic standards of modesty within fairly progressive society. Generally they are never allowed to cover their arms or face (after receiving facial tattoos) and would be in violation of this rule if wearing a full suit of armor.

Last edited:

Remove ads