D&D 5E Assistance With a Build?

venkelos2016

First Post
So, for a good, long while now, I've been playing a character named Silver in 3.5, and I wanted to see if he can transfer over to 5th. Thing is, he's "special" (probably read: snowflake), and at the risk of saying this dumb, I'm not sure if 5E is complicated/detailed enough to allow it. Silver was a young, deposed monarch, who took to thieving to survive among his people, and became the player party's mysterious, do-gooding mouthpiece, and instruction-giving buff machine. In 3.5E, he was a Noble, from Dragonlance, coupled with their Legendary Tactician PrC, and levels of Rogue, with a little something from Forgotten Realms that is neither here, nor there, to round him out. While I feel nothing good came out of 4E, Warlord seemed a potential fit, till I realized I hated 4E. Now that I feel I like 5E, my problems are:

• No Warlord class, or similar "fighter with a brain", to give instructions/buffs.
  • No Noble class. A bit of background, but not much.
  • No "officer" warriors, beyond the vagueness of another background, of which one assumes you can only have one.
  • Very little group-buffing, even for the Bard.
Is there any way to build my kingly, silver-tongued rogue in this new addition, or is he too complicated? Everyone thought he was a bard/rogue, back then, as his rank is a secret, and Noble did a lot to sell it. Can something this "out there" still shine in 5E, or am I just going to be really happy about where Wizards are, now, and build one of them? Thanks anyone for your help.

So, for a good, long while now, I've been playing a character named Silver in 3.5, and I wanted to see if he can transfer over to 5th. Thing is, he's "special" (probably read: snowflake), and at the risk of saying this dumb, I'm not sure if 5E is complicated/detailed enough to allow it. Silver was a young, deposed monarch, who took to thieving to survive among his people, and became the player party's mysterious, do-gooding mouthpiece, and instruction-giving buff machine. In 3.5E, he was a Noble, from Dragonlance, coupled with their Legendary Tactician PrC, and levels of Rogue, with a little something from Forgotten Realms that is neither here, nor there, to round him out. While I feel nothing good came out of 4E, Warlord seemed a potential fit, till I realized I hated 4E. Now that I feel I like 5E, my problems are:

• No Warlord class, or similar "fighter with a brain", to give instructions/buffs.
  • No Noble class. A bit of background, but not much.
  • No "officer" warriors, beyond the vagueness of another background, of which one assumes you can only have one.
  • Very little group-buffing, even for the Bard.
Is there any way to build my kingly, silver-tongued rogue in this new addition, or is he too complicated? Everyone thought he was a bard/rogue, back then, as his rank is a secret, and Noble did a lot to sell it. Can something this "out there" still shine in 5E, or am I just going to be really happy about where Wizards are, now, and build one of them? Thanks anyone for your help.

Mastermind archetype Rogue .

Noble background.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
The Mastermind Archetype is found in the Sword Coast Adventures Guide.

You could also make a high-Charisma Fighter and do nearly the same thing with his Superiority dice, provided you took the right class... uh... abilities.

5e's "math" is a lot tighter than 3.x - buffs are nice but just aren't built into 5e the same way. Advantage, +x to (usually) one die roll, and very short spell durations (usually lasting one fight) all help account for this 'new math' so they don't break the system.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Hi Venkelos

As above.
Feats might help. Inspiring Leader (if you have the Cha)
Magic Initiate for buffing/healing can really help round out a concept for me.

If you don't mind playing a fighter class but still acting like a rogue, then Purple Dragon is a team helpful PC, or a couple of the Battlemaster manoeuvres might fit.

Bard does seem to fit as well.

Purple Dragon 3 levels/Mastermind X and Inspiring Leader feat?

A bit out there but...Depending on your DM, you might try to persuade them that your arcane thief could homebrew/take from the Bard's/Paladin's spell list instead using Charisma?

Illithidbix

Explorer
The Mastermind Archetype is found in the Sword Coast Adventures Guide.

You could also make a high-Charisma Fighter and do nearly the same thing with his Superiority dice, provided you took the right class... uh... abilities.

5e's "math" is a lot tighter than 3.x - buffs are nice but just aren't built into 5e the same way. Advantage, +x to (usually) one die roll, and very short spell durations (usually lasting one fight) all help account for this 'new math' so they don't break the system.

The Mastermind Archetype is downloadable from WOTC website here: http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SCAG_RoguishArchetype_m39d.pdf
(

Yes, master mind noble background also came to mind. Although of course mastermind does not sound dumb... But I guess that is no problem because it is just a name.

You can take feats and bard levels as you see fit. If your main concern is enabling your group you don't need to worry about a lot in 5e. You will easily pull your weight with bonus action help and then standing in the back lines.

mellored

Legend
The best i've found is battlemaster 3 /paladin 6 / mastermind 2. Possibly some bard, and liberal reflavoring of some spells.

It's still only about 1/2 buffs and 1/2 damage.

Coyote81

First Post
The best i've found is battlemaster 3 /paladin 6 / mastermind 2. Possibly some bard, and liberal reflavoring of some spells.

It's still only about 1/2 buffs and 1/2 damage.

I think you are going to need at least Mastermind 3, since Rogues don't get a specialization until 3.

Remove ads