• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Assistance with my Cleric

Kzach

Banned
Banned
And for this build, I won't really have a need for a holy symbol, will I?
You will only need an implement if you decide to choose powers with the 'implement' keyword in them. Otherwise you can happily ignore them and just choose powers with the 'weapon' keyword in them instead.

Also, is it worth my time to get Armor Proficiency: Plate? I realize I'd have to raise my STR to 15 and already have scale... but I could retrain the AP: Scale to get AP: Plate, correct? Then just take armor finesse and heavy armor agility?

Finally, should I invest (eventually) in shield finesse?
This is why I recommend getting a month subscription to DDI. A month is only $10 so if you don't like it, you haven't lost anything too substantial. Having access to the Character Builder and the Compendium are your best bet to answer these questions. The reason for this is because you're really getting into matters of personalisation and personal preference. I can't answer those. You need to decide for yourself what you want your character to be and how to proceed.

The suggestions I've given should only be considered exactly that; suggestions. Ultimately there is no right or wrong way to build a character. As long as you're enjoying playing it, you've made the right choices.

Dan'L

First Post
Also, is it worth my time to get Armor Proficiency: Plate? I realize I'd have to raise my STR to 15 and already have scale... but I could retrain the AP: Scale to get AP: Plate, correct?

This is not correct; if you retrain out of AP: Scale, you will no longer meet the pre-requisite for AP: Plate, and so could not take AP: Plate. You would have to invest in two feat slots to train Plate.

As for whether or not it is useful, the best recommendation I can give is to play the character & see what bothers you the most. If you feel you are getting hit on your AC too easily; if the Armor Check penalty bothers you when you make skill checks; if the speed penalty irks you when you move around the battlefield -- all these can be addressed in different ways with feats, but you will need to prioritize for yourself what will make play more fun for you.

-Dan'L

RBolyar2

First Post
You will only need an implement if you decide to choose powers with the 'implement' keyword in them. Otherwise you can happily ignore them and just choose powers with the 'weapon' keyword in them instead.

This is why I recommend getting a month subscription to DDI. A month is only $10 so if you don't like it, you haven't lost anything too substantial. Having access to the Character Builder and the Compendium are your best bet to answer these questions. The reason for this is because you're really getting into matters of personalisation and personal preference. I can't answer those. You need to decide for yourself what you want your character to be and how to proceed.

The suggestions I've given should only be considered exactly that; suggestions. Ultimately there is no right or wrong way to build a character. As long as you're enjoying playing it, you've made the right choices.

So I spoke with WotC and they said your commission check should be in mail. In all seriousness, I signed of for DDI but have 2 questions on the character builder.

1.) I can't select that as a background using the Crown of Neverwinter setting

2.) I can't figure out what I need to do to get a bastard sword. That's a military weapon, correct? It will only allow me to purchase/equip simple weapons...

THANKS AGAIN!

Grydan

First Post
Selecting the Lost Crown of Neverwinter setting will assume you're following the official rules for that campaign, not the more wide-open approach your DM is apparently taking. Select Home Campaign instead.

A bastard sword is a superior weapon, not military. If you don't have the proficiency feat, it won't show up without specifically searching for it.

RBolyar2

First Post
Selecting the Lost Crown of Neverwinter setting will assume you're following the official rules for that campaign, not the more wide-open approach your DM is apparently taking. Select Home Campaign instead.

A bastard sword is a superior weapon, not military. If you don't have the proficiency feat, it won't show up without specifically searching for it.

Still can't locate it. I've found a large long sword... is that the same thing? it's 1d10 with a +3 proficiency and can be wielded 2 handed.

Grydan

First Post
No. A Medium character cannot wield a Large weapon (under normal circumstances).

Go to Step 8. Get Equipment. Select the Find Equipment tab. Enter the words "bastard sword" (with or without the quotation marks) in the field. It should pop up as the first option. It will be in red text if you're not proficient in it, but it will let you add or purchase it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads