• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At Gencon, Did you learn or try anything new?

kitsune9

Adventurer
Hello Gencon Gamers,

As you're resting from your four days of revelry and fun, did you learn or try any new games? It can be any game--rpg, ccg, cmg, boardgame, anything that you thought was fun that you a) did pick up or b) desperately want to pick up, but couldn't for some reason.

Tell us about it!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Tried Mouse Guard and liked it; learned about Time & Temp and can't wait to try it; ran Skulduggery and loved it. For me, this was a good con for learning about new games.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Tried Skulduggery!, BSG The Boardgame and got a copy of 3:16 which I look forward to playing/running. All good.

Learned some things to help make some final adjustments in my minis game rules.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Tried Mouse Guard and liked it; learned about Time & Temp and can't wait to try it; ran Skulduggery and loved it. For me, this was a good con for learning about new games.

There is a con that I used to go to here in my neck of the woods that seemed to have some up-and-coming publishers who would want to playtest their new RPG or just some small indie publisher running a game. A lot of fun playing different games that no one has heard of before.

I always consider it good thing to play something completely different than playing the X the RPG that one plays in their home campaign all the time and to be able to realize that there is a lot of crunchy cool stuff out there.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Played BSG the boardgame . . . lots of fun. I'll buy this one soon.

Played and bought Dominion. Awesome, easy to learn game, plays fast (30 minutes for 4 experienced players) with TONS of replay potential.

Sir Brennen

Legend
I decided to try a number of new games this year. When pre-registering, I Google'd many of the game systems used in the events to see if they looked interesting.

1) Skullduggery - Played in PirateCat's test game. It was a lot of fun, though I'm not sure how the system would be for an extended campaign. Perhaps there's not as much PvP seen in a regular game, but the intentional character rivalry setup of the playtest would definitely make it a great (and hilarious) system for conventions and other one-shots.

2) AlphaOmega - This game has a great... website. Nice production values on the slick, horizontal-rectangle rulebook. But both the setting and rule system were a bit too much of a kitchen sink approach IMO. A post-multi-apocalyptic earth with aliens battling each other and strong religious, supernatural themes. I got the impression that it's trying to be the the new Rifts. Not for me.

3) Unhallowed Metropolis - Take Victorian London, throw in a massive zombie apocalypse, then fast-forward a couple hundred years inside the walled-off city, where the pace of technology not only slowed but took a decidedly different direction than our world and the inhabitants try to cling to the pinnacle of civilization - the Victorian Era - in the face of unrelenting horror. The playtest had pre-gen PCs, all with great hooks that helped establish the feel of the game as well as get everyone involved. The system was very simple (roll 2d10 and add either your attribute or skill bonus), with a wound system rather than hit points (and hit locations! Important for a game where head shots are part of the genre). I had so much fun I bought the core rulebook, which has tons of flavor.

4.) Savage Worlds - Heard alot about this system, so thought I'd try it out. GM was a no-show. Bleh.

5.) Dave Arneson's Blackmoor (D&D 4E) - While 4E isn't new to me, I played in two games that were part of a "living campaign", which I'd never done before and didn't even realize they were this type of game when I signed up. Code Monkey Publishing, who prints the book, ran the events. While I had fun, things were a little chaotic from an organizational standpoint, as apparently Code Monkey had a number of issues with, among other things, absentee DMs, printer failures and a huge response of people with generic tickets showing up. Saturday night there were around 75 people that showed up for an event that was suppose to be for about 18-24, I think. They tried to accommodate everyone, which, while noble, I don't think was the best choice. In the four hour time slots, we only got in about two hours of actual playing in the first and three hours in the second.

Last edited:

RefinedBean

First Post
Tired out Godlike finally! I know it's been in print for a while, but I only just found out about it a year ago, and have been itching to play it.

Gritty WW2 battle scenes with superheroes thrown in. Freaking. AWESOME. :D

Feanor Liberius

First Post
Played in PirateCat's Skullduggery with Mark (and others) and had a lot of fun. It's odd but Mark and I discussed the same thing as Sir Brennen. That is, I don't know that I could run a campaign with it, but that might just be the one-shot setup meant to push the action and engage everyone. And for that, it was awesome. Even as I type this, I have to back track a bit (Mark) and consider how it might be used for more long term use...hmmm...

Played BSG the board game with both Mark (skin-job sympathizer) and Mr. Nall (robot lover) and we had a lot of fun with that.

Played in a Braunstein with Dave Wesley running it - you heard me - and found it very very interesting.

All in all, a lot of new stuff for me...

Remove ads