• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E At higher levels, encounter building guidelines don't matter.

DaveDash

Explorer
...And it's not a bad thing.

My group is 16th level now (getting close to 17, which will be scary for me as the DM!), and I'm finding that the encounter building guidelines don't really matter - especially the multipliers by numbers. Basically I just put whatever I want in an encounter now.

Deadly is also not really deadly, it's more like 'taxing', as it doesn't really threaten the players, but consumes more resources. There are some combinations and monsters you have to watch out for however, so this isn't quite a blanket rule.

The biggest throw away is the numbers multiplier. My group in particular has access to so much efficient AoE now that encounters that are deadly due to numbers basically are like normal encounters.

I'm actually enjoying it more now. Less crunch and less prep work, and more freedom to just do what makes sense for that encounter, as opposed to adhering to the numbers.

Staffan

Legend
Deadly is also not really deadly, it's more like 'taxing', as it doesn't really threaten the players, but consumes more resources. There are some combinations and monsters you have to watch out for however, so this isn't quite a blanket rule.

It's not really supposed to be. Here's some bald dude explaining how encounters are supposed to be stacked in the PCs' favor (albeit from a Pathfinder perspective, but the same point stands in 5e):
[video=youtube;UsYINdduqzY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsYINdduqzY[/video]

DaveDash

Explorer
It's not really supposed to be. Here's some bald dude explaining how encounters are supposed to be stacked in the PCs' favor (albeit from a Pathfinder perspective, but the same point stands in 5e):
[video=youtube;UsYINdduqzY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsYINdduqzY[/video]

It definitely is at lower levels. It takes on a different meaning at higher levels.

Kyn@BattleBards

First Post
There are always other challenges to face at higher levels of play anyway. And resource management is certainly one way to keep the team engaged. Epic battles can certainly be fun where the party is attacked from all sides and can actually manage the encounter but if they aren't challenged in some other way then the value of said encounters becomes mute. That's where I always have to amp things up a bit with my PCs. The last thing I need is another ho hum encounter that they are certain to win. So usually I will throw in some other stipulation that negates one or the other ability of the party in order to make them think a bit, forcing the to be more creative. I find this has kept combat interesting for all involved.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads