• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At the Edge of Dreams

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
The body of a Faean lord is found skewered by an iron lance, one of his retinue surviving long enough to whisper, Mortals. An entire human family is found ruthlessly slaughtered in their sleep, traces of Faean magic still lingering in the air. Ancient pacts between the Faean and the village of Graymeer have ensured a lasting peace over the centuries. Now, however, with ever increasing atrocities occurring to both sides, the pact is strained to the point of breaking. And if they break, there will be a war between the Mortals and Faean, a war that will escalate to throw all of the Shield Islands into chaos.

Something, or someone, has been purposefully trying to drive the Faean and Mortals into direct conflict. The heroes have one chance - they must find the true culprit behind these incidents, and then travel to the mysterious Faean Realm, At the Edge of Dreams, to convince the Faean Court to halt their attacks, before it is too late.

At the Edge of Dreams is a d20 System adventure suitable for characters of 6th-7th level.

Simon Collins

Explorer
Beware! This review contains major spoilers.
This is not a playtest review.

At The Edge Of Dreams is an adventure from Monkey God Enterprises for four to five PCs of levels 6-8.

At The Edge Of Dreams is a 106-page adventure at a price of $18.95, fairly standard for its type and size in terms of volume of content. Font size, margins and white space are all reasonable. The art ranges from average to superb with much being good or better. The front cover beautifully captures the feel of the adventure itself with a pastiche of colour and image. Maps are clear with scale, and compass direction for the outdoor maps. Writing style is excellent, whilst editing is good, with occasional errors.

The adventure begins with a brief overview of the setting - the Shield Islands, an ancient land once ruled by the Faean (a variation on fey creatures). The Faean have mainly retreated to another plane that overlies the Shield Islands, whilst the islands are now ruled by mortal kingdoms. The introduction also gives a complete EL summary (which ranges from 3 to 19, though the higher level encounters will only be faced if the party is truly stupid or the GM is truly cruel) and some advice on converting the adventure to a more generic setting.

The adventure synopsis gives a thorough introduction and overview of the adventure for the GM - essentially the villain of the piece is attempting to start a war between the mortals and the fae. The PCs must follow clues, survive combat, avoid traps, travel to the fae realm and back again, and roleplay their way out of a number of awkward situations before confronting the villain in a climactic finale. Five decent adventure hooks are given to start characters into the adventure.

The adventure itself is written extremely well - these are some of the touches that the author Christopher Coyle, has added to enhance the adventure:
* Lists of useful information that each important NPC knows. Depending on roleplaying or Diplomacy checks, the PCs can change the attitude of the NPC to gain more information. Modifiers due to such issues as race, alignment and class are also given.
* Detailed guidelines to the GM for the effects of relevant spells the PCs might use.
* A variety of optional encounters.
* Not just a description of important NPCs, not just guidelines on their personality, but actual advice for roleplaying them for the GM - e.g. "Speak in short, clipped sentences as if you were saving your energy. Squint suspiciously, constantly interrupt with questions..." And there are good reasons given for this type of behaviour too. Each NPC also has an initial reaction: friendly, indifferent, hostile, etc. to set the GM on the right path and give a baseline for how the PCs improve or lose the relationship with the character.
* A simple but clever speech mechanism to reflect the fae's knowledge of the importance and power of words - guidelines for extrapolating this for yourself. This mechanism, which involves rhyming, would need further playtesting before I could say whether it became intensely annoying or actually worked, but it seems pretty cool on first reading it.
* Some great ideas to reflect a more traditional feel for the fae than standard D&D gives. Vulnerability to iron, faerie rings, the faerie realm with changed time, and fae wards and tokens, plus a range of new fey-type creatures are offered. Includes guidelines on dealing with travel time in the two different realms, as the difference in time passing can be very important.
* Timeline of events that happen unless the PCs interfere with them, making the adventure both event and location based and avoiding the trap of railroading as much as possible. Advice for amending the timeline in relation to the PC's actions.
* A couple of possible sub-plots within the main framework of the adventure.
* Full tactical advice dependent on PC tactics for the climactic finale.
* A really convincing link through a magic item to further adventures set in this realm.

The appendices contain statistical information for all the creatures used in the adventure, several new creatures, spells, and magic items (including fae rings which are somewhat like teleportation circles to the fae realm except iron distorts their functionality, sometimes quite disastrously).

There is also a section explaining the difference between fey and fae (Faean being the term to describe the fae creatures that inhabit the Shield Islands and their fae counterpart). Fae is a variant of the Fey type but has added qualities and weaknesses that reflect a more traditional view of faeries. The variant reflects different faean's links with the four seasons (plus water and shadow), the hierarchy of the faean society (noble faean, sprites, hunters, knights, and creatures). Indeed, there are two templates, one for fae creatures, and one for dark fae creatures, as well Wyrdlings (humans who have been kidnapped from mortal families and raised by the Fae), and a Faeblooded (Half-Faean) template.

A final section details the main mortal religion, the White Church, with its triumvirate of good gods, but also gives a mysterious hint at a rumoured Black Church, a cancer lying at the heart of the good-aligned White Church. Enough info to run the adventure, with a tantalising glimpse at the depth of the setting that underpins it.

Conclusion:
I have to say right from the outset, this type of Celtic-influenced setting always blows me away. What made this adventure for me though, was that the author has obviously put in a great deal of thought and effort into giving not just an exciting, varied adventure but also the support for the GM to bring the quality of the adventure into play on a practical level.

If I can see any major influence on the adventure (and it really stands on its own to be fair) it is the Chronicles of Prydein (if you haven't read the set of five (kids/teenage) books by Lloyd Alexander then shame on you, go and get them now even if you're over 18). The mysterious Celtic feel, the depiction of the fae as truly frightening opponents instead of cartoon characters, and the grey moral issues dealt with in this adventure raise 'At The Edge Of Dreams' to an adult level, however.

There are a few minor editing errors, but stat blocks seem sound and treasure seems to be within reason.

I can't wait for another adventure for this setting to be released, and as soon as my players reach 6th level this is the adventure I'm going to run. I think that's all I need to say.

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
The story to Edge of Dreams is quite good, but the mechanics in the module are not sound. This adventure provides a great tale for the gaming table, but takes an expereinced DM to make sure some of the mistakes in the module don't unhinge the game. 3/5

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
At the Edge of Dreams is a hefty adventure module (and more) from MonkeyGod Enterprises. The adventure is a mystery in which the heroes, as neutral outsiders, must discover the real culprits behind some heinous acts. If the PCs fail, war is in the making between mortals and their immortal, fey-like neighbors, the faean. Unfortunately, this promising scenario is brought only to a frightening half-life by the poor execution it endures.

Scott Fisher's cover is fantastic. It's so good, I'm sure it's a selling point for the book. The interior design is middling, with the type set in a readable fashion, but the pages weighed down with annoying borders and unattractive charts. Artwork inside the book ranges from bad to good, but nothing compares to the front cover. While the back cover image is gripping, the design falters here too, with typographical mistakes. The blurb on the back describing the module is inaccurate in its content as well.

The cartography is passable; that is to say, most of the maps are clear. The notable exceptions to this are the lack of an area map and the Shadowy Bog map. Without an area map, the locales presented in the adventure have no set relationship to each other in distance or space, other than vague hints in the text. This can be a virtue, however, for those DMs seeking to add this adventure to an existing world. The problem with the Shadowy Bog map is it isn't designed well to allow for the encounters that the author asserts are integral to the adventure, yet virtually assures other "optional" encounters.

As for content, the book's exposition is deficiently written, which surprises me, since Sovereign Press' line editor for Sovereign Stone authored it, and did a fine job in a recent Dragon article. Coyle also fails to use D&D rules and style conventions in writing and statistic blocks, and makes no few mistakes. Many of the blunders that plague the text seem to come from the writer's lack of familiarity with 3E. One part of the module asserts that a wand of summoning (summon monster II) can summon an ettercap (a 5HD creature, CR 4), and all of the monsters summoned with said wand have nested in part of an encounter area. Neither thing is possible with summon monster II. This kind of thing is common in the book.

Knowledge of Second Edition D&D seems to carry over into the text as well. When speaking of iron armor's resistance to faean magic, the book reads exactly as follows (including spacing): "As a rule of thumb, for every +1 the armor grants the wearers armor class naturally (not including magical bonus from enchantment) he receive 5% Spell Resistance to the magic of the faean(so a suit of iron chainmail with a +4 natural bonus would grant an SR of 20 against faean spells and spell-like abilities)." Not only does this statement fail to use standard 3E statistical formats for spell resistance, it also fails to refer to armor bonus (magical or otherwise) properly.

The story itself contains plot holes. A timeline states that a certain NPC disappears, and is denounced by another NPC. Later in the story, the "missing" NPC is there to help the PCs out of a sticky situation. How certain dramatis personae come by the knowledge they give the characters is also a mystery. Some characters fail to use their powers and skills to counter the abilities others use against them, while others seem to have meta-abilities that are beyond the rules. One of the spells, waiting watcher, is erroneously referred to as foe watch in the text of the module, where one of the NPCs is supposed to cast it. Unfortunately, that character doesn't have it prepared in his stat block, nor can he even cast waiting watcher at all, due to the spell's caster limitations. Thus, part of the story unhinges.

The author also forgets possibilities when dealing with certain scenes, such as the use of speak with dead on the body of one of the victims in the story. (Such an occurrence might identify the culprit readily.) Later scenes assume friendship with a creature that may have attacked the characters in the beginning of the adventure. Another character seemingly has the ability to know when someone else senses the magical sensor he created by a scrying spell. Of course, some of the errors also benefit the PCs, like when the module explains that some normally animal-only spells affect magical beasts the heroes might need to befriend, yet the monster description of the same beast doesn't say this, nor why it's so.

Added value can supposedly be found in the appendices of the book, though many of these tidbits are shoddily rendered. At the Edge of Dreams includes ten new monsters, four new spells, and several new magic items. Seven of the monsters don't appear in the story, unless the DM cares to add them to one of the more loosely defined scenes. One of the items is slated for destruction in the adventure, because it can do a very bad thing. However, a PC of remotely questionable morals, who found out the tremendous powers of this item, wouldn't destroy it at all. The problem with one of the spells was mentioned before.

Nearly every paragraph, and certainly every page, contains some sort of error. These bloopers run the gamut from poor use of language, to continuity, and to statistical or rule mistakes. It's all a real shame, and I'll tell you why: the idea behind this story is fabulous.

Many of the narrative (read-aloud) passages are great, and the characters have personality that's brought out through these scenes. One character always speaks in rhymes, though he does so subtly at times. The religious zeal of the village priest is more than evident. Encounters with the faean are grandly otherworldly. In these segments, it becomes clear that the author has a dramatic flair that probably makes his own gaming table a fun place. It's also clear that Coyle has some background in mythology.

The story is a grim fairy tale, in which the heroes could lose more than a few days time (literally and figuratively). The ideas gleaned from the module work, even if the execution doesn't. DMs have the task of working on some aspects of the story to make it all flow, which is a bad thing when you've bought a so-called "prepared" adventure. What I mean is, in addition to some of the holes mentioned above (if you care about the rules), this module can't be played right out of the box, and if the DM doesn't read it through and prepare, there'll be serious problems. However, the work may be worth it, since the ideas are that good.

The module's good points include the treatment of the faean. Coyle has succeeded in creating a unique breed of fey creatures, based heavily in actual fairy tales. Perhaps a book dedicated to these creatures is in order, though preferably penned more expertly. Once again, the ideas are good, but the end result leaves a lot to be desired. With some tinkering, the faean can add a unique twist to a suitable campaign.

Finally, if the DM is up to the work it'll take to mold this adventure into a cohesive whole, the adventure is fun. The story is compelling. Thus, the crippled presentation need be something of which only the DM is aware. Special attention must be paid to getting the heroes involved, since the current hook is: the heroes just happen to wander into the area as the most important and interesting thing that's gone on in a hundred years is happening. This typical "fortunate" circumstance is as cliche as the well-known tavern introduction.

At the Edge of Dreams is a beautiful illusion wrapped around what appears to be a first or second draft. Experienced DMs can take this material and turn it into a grand bit of in-depth roleplaying. The inexperienced are guaranteed a hard time, as the module leads them astray with its slipshod writing. If you have an extra twenty bucks burning a hole in your pocket, and an itch to mold some great ideas to your own liking, buy this module. Those ideas are the only thing that saves At the Edge of Dreams from a much lower rating.

This review was originally written for Gaming Frontiers on 10/02/02.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Hola Khur.

Thanks for the batch of reviews. Some good stuff here.

What's up with the link to Gaming Frontiers? No scoring breakdown over there and the reviews haven't been updated in a little while.

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
Yeah, there's no scoring over at GF yet. There should be soon, according to Rob Williams. I wrote these reviews for GF, and Rob said it'd be okay to post 'em here. Thus, I figured the link to GF was the least I can do. Should they be edited out?

JoeGKushner

First Post
I don't think it's an issue.

I've done some work for Rob too and was just wondering if there was something going on that I didn't see when I went over there.

Perhaps you should talk to Morrus and see about getting Gaming Frontiers in as a Affiliate Reviews like the other two currently are?

Fearsome Monkey

First Post
Thanks for posting these reviews. We appreciate fair and balanced reviews and generally take them to heart when producing new products. I have to agree with many of the points you have made - it annoys me we didn't give this tremendous story quite the attention it deserved. Over the last 9 months (or so) since the release of this adventure we have changed cartographers, dropped the ugly margins, adopted the standard stat block format and slowed things down to better catch the errors. I look forward to seeing your opinions of our newer products.

David Hurd
MonkeyGod

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads