• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At what level would you put...

Eraslin

First Post
... a version of stoneskin that didn't have the costly material component, and was delivered by a close ranged ranged touch (ie: ray).

Alternately, same delivery method as above but with a lowered material component cost (say 50gp).

As a further alternate, same delivery method as above but with no material component and with a fairly costly focus component?

Thanks,
Eraslin

Ferret

Explorer
Matierial component's cost usually rise with the power, if you made it weaker maybe.

Your focus Idea will probably go best.

Eraslin

First Post
Ferret said:
Matierial component's cost usually rise with the power, if you made it weaker maybe.

True, but costly material components, XP components, or costly focus components, are typically used (by my understanding) to bring down the level of the spell. For instance, if stoneskin didn't have a 250gp material component, it would actually be a level 5 or 6 spell -- which one is part of my question...

-Eraslin

Sir Whiskers

First Post
I'd kick it up only one level. I personally hate having to track costly component use, so I see that as a bonus (for ease of gaming), and the change to a ray is not overwhelming. I could see it used to put stoneskin on an ally in combat, but the caster still has to hit with the ranged touch attack, so it's not automatic. Overall, not huge changes.

the Jester

Legend
A ray, with no expensive material component- 7th level.

Cheaper components, ray delivery- still 7th level.

Expensive focus, ray delivery- meh, 5th level, but I wouldn't allow the option imc.

(An expensive focus is much less balancing than expenses that recur.)

Remove ads