• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Atlatl, spear-thrower, woomera...

Jacob Vardy

Explorer
Has anyone used one of these in a5e? I've got a player who just discovered them and she really wants to use one. I vaguely recall some from 1e but i'll be buggered if i know where. The obvious mechanic is to bump javelins from 1d6 to 1d8 and double the range. But that seams a little underwhelming.

The player isn't trying to cheese the game. She's playing an unoptimised high elf beserker archer for role play reasons.
woomera.jpg

the Jester

Legend
The 1e atlatl was in Unearthed Arcana. It fired javelins, had a range of 3/6/9 (as opposed to a javelin's range of 2/4/6 without an atlatl), didn't change the damage, and had a better set of 'weapon vs. AC type' modifiers- usually +1 over a javelin alone. It cost 1 gp, and the weight of an atlatl and javelin was 30 gp, making the atlatl 20 gp (2 lbs) in weight (a javelin weighed in at 10 gp).

aco175

Legend
You can allow it the handle part to be used as a club, it is not much though.
It can be allowed to throw javelins and spears
Maybe double the strength modifier to damage. This feels a bit OP though.

Jacob Vardy

Explorer
What you’re looking for is titled under “Spear Thrower” on AG 312, and it adds a whole extra 1d6 damage and nearly triples the range of the projectile!
Thanks for that. I thought it was in the cultural weapons section. And just doubted my memory when i couldn't find it.

Remove ads