Att: WotC - Replacing PDF's

Bumbles

First Post
I suspect we won't see anything until after the court case resolves. Wizards probably wants to see what comes from that endeavor before acting.

Vigilance

Explorer
I think this has already been answered hasn't it?

Didn't they recently add PDFs of 4e books to DDI, without the game statistics?

So you have a PDF of the fluff, and the crunch in the character creator.

I don't know if what you are saying is true for 4e books but, in any case, this still does not help those of us that want the older 1E and 2E PDF's. Other than WotC wanting to have a "no PDF's for sale" approach across all editions, I really can't see why they removed these from sale.

Olaf the Stout

Jack99

Adventurer

It was only the Psion preview from PHB3, and no word indicating that this would be the standard from now on.

I don't know if what you are saying is true for 4e books but, in any case, this still does not help those of us that want the older 1E and 2E PDF's. Other than WotC wanting to have a "no PDF's for sale" approach across all editions, I really can't see why they removed these from sale.

Olaf the Stout

Exactomundo. Although it is probably even less likely, we want those old books back, available in some kind of format.

avin

First Post
Add me to the line of people who think Wotc will never get the alternative solution.

The few resources they have are working on CB and MB, I think.

Maybe things calm down in the future and PDFs are back.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Sorry, I'm going to agree that nothing new is going to come out. "WE TOTALLY HAVE SOMETHING PLANNED" was WotC throwing food into the pool to get attention away from themselves.

Belorin

Explorer
I know that when I was researching the Pathfinder rpg Paizo had the pdf. version for free but it was marked with my name so if I tried to 'share' it online where it came from was readily apparent.

Bel

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Well, the format is quite different, but I think the new Monster Builder in the adventure tools is a terrifice first step in that direction. I miss the fluff and the art, but what it provides is a database of monsters from all sources, that will be updated regularly.

I don't want to be too much of a raving fanboy here -- I'm sure there are many great threads talking about the strengths of the monster builder. Ultimately, I think this is the direction that they're heading -- a controled, subscription driven way for them to put this content in our hands digitally. It's available offline, so you have that, but it's not going to work on yoru kindle or other ebook reader.

I liked the PDFs. I bought every book in the 4e line in both print and pdf, and I found use for both versions. And I miss the PDFs. But I think if you're expecting that the replacement to PDFs would look like PDFs, I think you're going to be disappointed with whatever they come up with as a digital enhancement to the game.

-rg

Remove ads