Attack of Opportunity during an attack of opportunity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crater

Explorer
So does that then mean that a creature with reach would get 4 AoO's on somebody who runs through 4 of their threatened squares if they had combat reflexes and enough Dex?

AGGEMAM

First Post
James McMurray said:
No, you only get one AoO per action. The entire movement is a single action.

True. I goofed. :)

SRD said:
Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent

Anubis

First Post
A better way to think of it is this: in real life, we do not move in 5-foot blocks all over the place. (That gives me weird images imagining such a thing.) So naturally the movement happens all at once, not "oh, five feet, I attack, oh, another five feet, I attack you again". Cute but not practical.

Anyway, yeah, thanks for the help guys. Two Rogue Gods in a fight with Combat Reflexes . . . :eek:

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Anubis said:
A better way to think of it is this: in real life, we do not move in 5-foot blocks all over the place.

This made me think of Xeno's Paradox. (That's the one where you halve the distance between an arrow and its target - hypothetically it will never hit home.)

Just goes to show - you get all sorts of weird conclusions if you try to overanalyze things! ;)

-blarg

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
James McMurray said:
No, you only get one AoO per action. The entire movement is a single action.

I don't agree with that...

Someone can provoke multiple AoOs with a single Full Attack action.

Someone can take two Move actions, but only provoke one AoO, even if he leaves threatened squares with both of them.

You're not limited to one AoO for leaving threatened squares "because it's a single action"; you're limited because it says "Moving out of more than one square only provokes one AoO".

-Hyp.

Anubis

First Post
Yet it's still one solid action, whereas a full attack is multiple actions. See my example above about moving.

BTW, blargney, could you elaborate on that Xeno paradox? I've never heard of it.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Anubis said:
Yet it's still one solid action, whereas a full attack is multiple actions.

It depends on the definition of 'action'. A full attack action is a single action that allows multiple attacks. An attack is not, strictly, an action; it is a consequence of an action.

See my example above about moving.

Yet if you double-move, you're still taking two move actions to do it... but will only provoke a maximum of one AoO from a given opponent by doing so.

-Hyp.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Anubis said:
Yet it's still one solid action, whereas a full attack is multiple actions. See my example above about moving.

BTW, blargney, could you elaborate on that Xeno paradox? I've never heard of it.

Arrow is fired.
It moves half the distance to the target.
It moves half the distance to the target again.
and again.
and again.

And it can keep doing so an infinite number of times - so how does it ever hit the target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads