• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attack of Opportunity question

Taliseian

First Post
Greetings all.

Just starting a PF campaign and trying to remember AoO rules.

Situation - two combatants in melee, swords only (no extended reach)

Combatant A takes a 5' step
Combatant A drinks a Potion

Does Combatant B get an attack of opportunity?

Thanks in advance...

T

delericho

Legend
Situation - two combatants in melee, swords only (no extended reach)

Combatant A takes a 5' step
Combatant A drinks a Potion

Does Combatant B get an attack of opportunity?

Well, strictly speaking it depends where Combatant A takes his 5' step to.

The 5' step does not provoke an Attack of Opportunity. That's fine.

If the 5' step takes Combatant A to a point where he is no longer threatened by Combatant B (for example, if he steps directly away from B), then when he drinks his potion he's no longer is a threatened square and so does not provoke.

However, if the 5' step moves A to a different threatened square, then when he drinks the potion he is in a threatened square, and so does provoke an AoO.

(Note: I'm no expert on Pathfinder - this is done from memory based on 3.5e rules. It's possible that Pathfinder changed the rules so that drinking a potion does not provoke in any circumstance. :) )

Adimus

First Post
I actually had a question related to this. It says a 5-foot step is a free action. Couldn't opponent B then just step 'forward' in response to A when he steps 'back', and still stay in threat range of his target?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I actually had a question related to this. It says a 5-foot step is a free action. Couldn't opponent B then just step 'forward' in response to A when he steps 'back', and still stay in threat range of his target?

No. The 5-foot step may be a free action, but free actions may only be taken on your own turn. Special actions that take little to no time but may be taken on another PC's term are immediate actions.

That said, there is a feat that will let you follow along with a melee combatant. I believe it's called Step Up.

No. The 5-foot step may be a free action, but free actions may only be taken on your own turn. Special actions that take little to no time but may be taken on another PC's term are immediate actions.

That said, there is a feat that will let you follow along with a melee combatant. I believe it's called Step Up.

Yep, Step Up allows for a character to step up to 5 feet at any point in their turn and follow who they are fighting, which would allow an AOO if the enemy stepped back to drink a potion and the character stepped up. This takes the place of your 5-ft step on your turn though.

Following Step allows up to 10 feet of movement and the same with the AOO if they provoke it by drinking the potion.

Step Up & Strike allows for the character to get an immediate follow and AOO because the enemy tried to move away. This would also allow for a second AOO with the Combat Reflexes feat if the same character that moved drank the potion.

See:
Provoking an Attack of Opportunity: Two kinds of actions can provoke attacks of opportunity: moving out of a threatened square and performing certain actions within a threatened square.

Moving: Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes attacks of opportunity from threatening opponents. There are two common methods of avoiding such an attack—the 5-foot step and the withdraw action.

Performing a Distracting Act: Some actions, when performed in a threatened square, provoke attacks of opportunity as you divert your attention from the battle. Table: Actions in Combat notes many of the actions that provoke attacks of opportunity and I think it would also allow another AOO if the enemy drinks the potion with the attacker having Combat Reflexes and being able to do more than one AOO per round.

Adimus

First Post

Ah~ thanks for the clarification. I'd never noticed that feat before.

Last edited:

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
If Opponent B had readied an action on his previous initiative to "follow and attack if Opponent A moves away", as Opponent A moved away, Opponent B's initiative would interrupt and he would be able to 5' step and attack as normal.

If Opponent A then still tried to drink his potion, Opponent B would get an AoO as normal.

Remove ads