• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attack spreadsheets.....

Boone

First Post
Some poster posted link to an Excel spread sheet that crunched a bunch of info.

Anyone have a link to these... or others like them..

I have a Melee spread sheet and am looking for a ranged weapon spread sheet.

Thanks in advance

lambdaZUG

First Post
Magus_Jerel said:
Wouldn't that be helping blatant Munchkinism? - :)

You seem to be confusing it with the reduce spell, which, in addition to promoting munchkinism, also happens to promote dwarfism, diminutivism and otherwise general smallness.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Excuse my ignorance, but I never have gotten the hang of the lingo around here. Just what does Munchkinism and Munchkin mean?

Magus_Jerel

First Post
Originally posted by Dimwhit
Excuse my ignorance, but I never have gotten the hang of the lingo around here. Just what does Munchkinism and Munchkin mean?

I am presuming that your post is a direct and deliberate pun off of your login name...

Presuming such... that is REALLY just TOO funny :D

If it isn't a pun - I would be glad to explain the term to you.

Dimwhit

Explorer
I am presuming that your post is a direct and deliberate pun off of your login name...

Presuming such... that is REALLY just TOO funny

If it isn't a pun - I would be glad to explain the term to you.

You know what they say about presumption...no wait, that's assumption. I'd love to say I'm kidding (much as my screen name would imply), but I am, in fact, a little dimwitted on the subject. And not just the Munchkin thing, but most all of them! I've figured out the IMO and IMHO thing (I'm not that stupid), but half the time I'm reading a code I don't understand. I dunno, maybe it's the English Major in me, but I haven't caught on to Internet lingo yet.

Magus_Jerel

First Post
Right - I wasn't sure if that was a deliberate or non-delibarate pun; especially considering the number of posts you had made.

Munchkinism is a "polite but negative" term for powergaming.

Since you are an english major - perhaps the pun "rollplaying" vs "roleplaying" is a good analogy to explain it.

Basically, asking for someone to trot out the "hardcore math" behind combat... and this is presumeably so that they can make decisions for their character. There can be only one intent of such a chart - deliberately maximizing the total damage they dish out.

That - is playing the numbers, odds, or "rolls" as opposed to the "role" of a character.

While there are a lot of people on this board who will be happy to assist you in making a character concept "fit" the rules; I as a GM don't want to assist those who are intent on playing a set of numbers, skills, and powers, that just happen to be on a character sheet.

If you need explanations of other words used - please; let Me know - I'll watch the thread for it.

If you need more in depth explanation - I would have to have an ICQ number... and private messaging isn't exactly enabled at the moment.

kreynolds

First Post
Magus_Jerel said:
Basically, asking for someone to trot out the "hardcore math" behind combat... and this is presumeably so that they can make decisions for their character. There can be only one intent of such a chart - deliberately maximizing the total damage they dish out.

That - is playing the numbers, odds, or "rolls" as opposed to the "role" of a character.

Ya' know, I'm all for "pure role-playing" and all that, but I can't say that every single person that asks for such info is a "powergamer". Some people aren't very good at figuring out the math behind the system, and building a fighter without understanding the math behind the attack and damage system, including the feats, can lead to a dead character pretty damn quickly. Truly "role-playing" is nice and all, but what's the point if you ignore or are unfamiliar with the combat system and your character dies in the first combat session because you didn't build him/her with combat in mind?

Just standing up for the few innocents out there. :)

Magus_Jerel

First Post
kreynolds -

I know what you are going after, devils advocate. :)

Such players IMHO - need to be playing first level characters against things that are CR 1/2 to CR 2 until they DO get the "hang of" the combat system.

Ask what they want to play - suggest multiple possibilites - and let them make the decisions. There is a world of difference between
"I want a skilled swordsman"
"I want a guy who can do heaps of damage in melee"

and "I want a character who will do the maximum average damage on every swing."

The first is easy enough - your most likely class is a fighter, but what sword? Are you considering using two swords at once? - maybe you need to be playing a Ranger.

The second requires explaining how critical hits, power attacking, and two handed weapons work... then letting the player pick. Both the Greatsword and the 1d12 x3 critical axe are possible weapons... and the player should also have the Barbarian's Rage ability explained to him.

It's the third request - that smacks of munchkinism.

Last edited:

Remove ads