• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attack w/ spear using Dex

theshard

First Post
My answer as a DM would be simple.

'I do not believe off-hand you toss a spear two-handed, but if you can show me footage of, say a javelin thrower, or other spearman -realisticly- tossing such a weapon with two hands, then I'd certainly allow it! Anime doesn't count.'

If I was really generous, I'd substitute a live demonstration by the player in question.

You are correct, they typically thrown with one hand. With that in mind if you watch the Viking vs Samurai episode of Deadliest Warrior they do a demonstration of how the Vikings used to throw two spears at once.

Viking vs Samurai

javcs

First Post
If you dual-throw javelins, you only need to hold one, since you need to be holding two melee weapons or a ranged weapon to use ranger stuff.

So here's an interesting question - if you throw a tratnyr two-handed, do you get the versatile damage bonus? The definition of versatile from the PHB would seem to indicate that you do...
By RAW, I believe so. However, there aren't any other two-handed thrown weapons, so there's plenty of justification in the rules to houserule otherwise, in addition to the metagame reasons.
I could easily accept it being houseruled; however, I don't think that allowing it is particularly overpowered.

DracoSuave

First Post
You are correct, they typically thrown with one hand. With that in mind if you watch the Viking vs Samurai episode of Deadliest Warrior they do a demonstration of how the Vikings used to throw two spears at once.

Viking vs Samurai

That's spears 'akimbo' which I'm certainly not debating. That's not the same throwing one spear two-handed to win the versatile bonus.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
My answer as a DM would be simple.

'I do not believe off-hand you toss a spear two-handed, but if you can show me footage of, say a javelin thrower, or other spearman -realisticly- tossing such a weapon with two hands, then I'd certainly allow it! Anime doesn't count.'

If I was really generous, I'd substitute a live demonstration by the player in question.
You might explain it as actually throwing it with one hand, but if you're free to swing your other hand around properly as a counterbalance (because it is empty), then you can put more oomph into the throw.

theshard

First Post
That's spears 'akimbo' which I'm certainly not debating. That's not the same throwing one spear two-handed to win the versatile bonus.

I was just showing what I thought was a great alternative to the traditional thrown spear.

You might explain it as actually throwing it with one hand, but if you're free to swing your other hand around properly as a counterbalance (because it is empty), then you can put more oomph into the throw.

This I would consider allowing as it would not be near as awkward as trying to throw a spear two-handed.

theshard

First Post

I was just showing what I thought was a great alternative to the traditional thrown spear.

This I would consider allowing as it would not be near as awkward as trying to throw a spear two-handed.

Remove ads