D&D 5E Attack with 2 damage types - 2 concentration saves?

Stalker0

Legend
Something I noticed in BG3 which I have never even concieved of doing. In BG3 when you deal 2 different damage types with your attack (say 5 piercing and 2 fire as an example), that triggers 2 concentration saves.

Is that how people normally do it, or do you combine the damage and do a single save?

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I don't have Baldur's Gate III yet, but I am curious about a tangent to this question: How does BG3 handle magic missiles and Concentration checks? If someone is concentrating and is hit by 2 (or more) missiles, do they make a single Concentration check (treating it as a single spell effect) or do they make one for each missile (making one for each source of damage)?

Stormonu

Legend
Something I noticed in BG3 which I have never even concieved of doing. In BG3 when you deal 2 different damage types with your attack (say 5 piercing and 2 fire as an example), that triggers 2 concentration saves.

Is that how people normally do it, or do you combine the damage and do a single save?
Personally, I do it per attack instead of damage source. So if one attack did the above, one concentration check. For the two magic missiles, I think I'd do it as two separate checks, as if an archer had hit someone with two seperate attacks - but I might give the spellcaster the option to treat it as one attack so a possible higher DC vs. multiple checks if for some reason they wanted to go that way. That does seem to mean that magic missile, scorching ray and eldritch blast would be good concentration breakers by heaping on the number of checks.

Remove ads