D&D 5E Attacking from above, from top to bottom, gives advantage in attack? EX: Stairs, plateau, stone.

Paraxis

Explorer
Not hard coded into the rules no. But like anything else up to the DM is the situation warrants advantage/disadvantage. I wouldn't give flyers or people on higher ground advantage myself.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Not in general, per the rules, but the DM is free to award such whenever it seems appropriate. For instance a spiral staircase in a medieval fortification might have been specifically designed to hamper the attacks of the person ascending the stairs.

You might not always give fliers advantage, but when a flyer attacks an enemy on a narrow bridge or ledge, it might be appropriate.

It's the kind of thing you'd want to think about when imagining an area where you think an encounter might occur.

S

Sunseeker

No, though I think it is a great place for a well-placed argument from the player and a little RP. "I climb the stairs at the back of the room to give me a better view of the attackers!" *hint hint wink wink* at the DM.

Shiroiken

Legend
No, though I think it is a great place for a well-placed argument from the player and a little RP. "I climb the stairs at the back of the room to give me a better view of the attackers!" *hint hint wink wink* at the DM.
Well, this gives the impression of a ranged attack. IMO, I would remove partial cover from other combatants, since you're attacking from a better angle. Advantage isn't something I give out lightly, but I have no problem with rewarding good RP and tactics.

S

Sunseeker

Well, this gives the impression of a ranged attack. IMO, I would remove partial cover from other combatants, since you're attacking from a better angle. Advantage isn't something I give out lightly, but I have no problem with rewarding good RP and tactics.

Being "behind" a same-height foe doesn't award partial cover, by the RAW anyway. So saying you afford boons to enemies for simply standing in the same room, but only going as far as to removing the boons you've DM-granted in a situation where neither party should be getting boons or penalties really strikes me as combative DMing.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Advantage is something that the DM should hand out with care. In my game, it only shows up if a given rule or spell or ability grants it. I never hand it out for free because of how strong it is (and because I do not want my players always trying to game the system in order to get advantage, nor do I want them saying "But you gave it to Fred two sessions ago for the exact same reason", remembering that I gave it out previously and why is just too much work :lol:). That's just my preference.

Shiroiken

Legend
Being "behind" a same-height foe doesn't award partial cover, by the RAW anyway.
Actually, it does. per PHB pg 196:

"A target has half cover if an obstacle blocks at least half of its body. The obstacle might be a low wall, a large piece of furniture, a narrow tree trunk, or a creature, whether that creature is an enemy or a friend."

Remove ads