• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attention Powergamers!

kanithardm

First Post
I have been a DM almost all the time that I've played Dnd. Ive never played past 4th level. I am joining a campaign as a player and I was wondering if i could have some advice on character design. Currently my character, Kanithar is a 3rd level Warlock with Vow of Poverty (BoED). My first session is tommorow. The two invocations that my warlock has are baleful utterance and beguling influence. I am contemplating eldritch spear. As far as background, Kanithar has a bit of paladin blood in him. So whenever he feels slighted, the good ol' stick-up-the-arse becomes apparent. Baleful Utterance = Instant force of poverty on others. Bam there goes the fighters stuff. :lol:

Edit: I own Complete Arcane, BoEd, CD, and DMG II

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Specific is good.

Are you looking for "stuff" for level 4? Or are you saying: "I've built this Warlock 3, and I wanna know if I should change things around before I play him?"

Either way, posting a bit about your PC (that is to say: stats, feats, etc) is helpful. Not too much, just enough to let us know where your PC is right now.

kanithardm

First Post
Str 9
Dex 15
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 9
Cha 14
Fort +3
Ref +3
Will +1
Feats Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Nimbus of Light, Touch of Golden Ice, Point Blank Shot
Im Human I have +14 BLuff, +10 Diplomacy, +8 Intimidate, +5 Perform(sing) and +8 UMD.
And im looking for stuff for the rest of my character path, 4-20.

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
kanithardm said:
As far as background, Kanithar has a bit of paladin blood in him. So whenever he feels slighted, the good ol' stick-up-the-arse becomes apparent. Baleful Utterance = Instant force of poverty on others. Bam there goes the fighters stuff. :lol:
Well, I have to wonder if you'll have all that much time to enjoy a character like that, since nobody in their right mind would group with such a character ("Oh, that was cute--you shattered my weapons and armor--hope you enjoy tanking for everyone.")

At any rate, vow of poverty is all nice and powergamery, but the warlock specializes in Use Magic Device, so he should actually be an item packrat. You'll get a lot of mileage out of Precise Shot.

Question

First Post
Theres not much to say. You have no weapons or armor or items to bother about, so the only thing left are stats, which appear to be already set in stone, advice on invocations(this im not sure about, i wanted to play a warlock once, but the DM insisted d6 hp and light armor was a tank, and after that i sorta lost interest in the class) and feats(should be simple, take a look at metamagic for SLA and the archery line of feats).

Magesmiley

Explorer
Yeah, I've got to concur that a warlock with exalted feats and a vow of poverty is... unusual to say the least. It also is going to severely limit your long-term options. I'd even suggest that Vow of Poverty is going to hinder you more in the long-term than help you.

As it sounds like you haven't started playing yet, I'd heavily suggest dropping vow of poverty.

If you have alreadt started playing, I think I would seriously consider biting the bullet and violating your Vow of Poverty right now. It really hurts to lose a feat, but its going to horribly restrict some of the warlock's long-term abilities.

Where to go on feats:
When in doubt take extra invocation. It never hurts to have extra abilities you can use at will.

For invocations, eldritch spear is a no-brainer. Other than that it comes down to the style of your character.

If you decide to give up vow of poverty, make sure you crank up your Use Magic Device skill ranks. Its very helpful. Accumulate odds and ends items like a packrat (heward's handy haversack is a great item to have).

Um, just out of curiousity what alignment is your character?

Remove ads