• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attribute Score Increases

dcravey

First Post
I DMed quite a bit back in the AD&D days, but am just getting the hang of DMing with the 3.5 Ed rules.

I'm looking for some guidance as to what is a reasonable amount of permanant attribute point gains for characters to get. I'm still getting used to the fact that a score of 20 in 3.5 Ed is not all that beefy compared to a score of 20 in AD&D.

Obviously, all characters get an attribute point every 4 levels.

But what is reasonable to expect as far as other permanent/inherent increases (via tomes, quest rewards, etc)?

What about base levels versus epic levels?

Thanks in advance.
dcravey

Maleketh

First Post
Most characters who can do so are going to pick up stat-booting items, which can give up to a +6 bonus at nonepic levels, and if they have the cash they'll probably pick up +5 tomes as well. Assuming the character is 20th level and focuses mostly on a single ability score, he's probably going to have a score between 32 and 36, depending on his starting score and racial modifiers.

I don't have enough experience with epic levels to give you reliable info on that, but I do know that it will depend largely on the character's level, what with enhancement items being able to provide theoretically limitless bonuses.

javcs

First Post
Well ... you can get up to a +5 inherent bonus to each stat, usually from a tome of whatever or from sequential wishes, all wishes must be cast consecutively, otherwise they overlap. This is one instance where the cap is not lifted or raised in epic level play, by RAW anyways.

Epic level stat boosts from HD follow the same pattern as those from non-epic levels, that is +1 per 4 HD.
There are also a couple of epic feats that provide stat increases.

Also, at mid levels, most characters will have at least one +stat item, usually more. At higher levels (still sub-epic) every character has at least 2 +stat items, or a combo +stat item.

Storme

First Post
Honestly, having crossed over from AD&D directly to 3.5, what a "reasonable stat" is won't really be relevent.

In our day, these stats really were Lines that were hard to cross, and when they were it was pretty huge.

Nowadays for a higher level fighter to have a str in the high 20's or even low thirties, isn't really all that unusual. Its not something you need to concern yourself with IMHO.

For example: if a fighter had an 18 str at first level, he'll have a 21 str by the time he reaches level 12, not including if he has magic items that boost his str, which he likely will.

Remove ads