D&D 5E Attunement

jgsugden

Legend
3 attunements are limiting - by intent. They wanted Magic Items to be iconic - like LotR - rather than formulaic - like 4E or WoW.

If you do not like the rule, I suggest adding more non-attuned magic items to the game - especially low power fun items that have situational usefulness. I give out a lot of low power magic items in my game that people in a magical world would want, but that are not really combat focused. I enjoy seeing PCs come up with ways to use them in combat (and out).

For example, a Rogue had a Shell. Once per day you could place a coin in the shell and then tilt the shell to pop the coin out. For the next hour you could listen to the shell and hear whatever was near the coin (if the coin was on he same plane). The PCs used the shell to spy on a lot of enemies.

I also provided a mace that 'painted' whatever it hit with luminescence for 1 minute after it was hit. They used that mace for a lot of things - and most of them were outside combat.

Both of these homebrew items were unattuned and perfectly fine.

For example, a Rogue had a Shell. Once per day you could place a coin in the shell and then tilt the shell to pop the coin out. For the next hour you could listen to the shell and hear whatever was near the coin (if the coin was on he same plane). The PCs used the shell to spy on a lot of enemies.

I also provided a mace that 'painted' whatever it hit with luminescence for 1 minute after it was hit. They used that mace for a lot of things - and most of them were outside combat.

Both of these homebrew items were unattuned and perfectly fine.

Sounds a lot like the Common magic items from Xananthar's Guide, most of which also don't require attunement.

CapnZapp

Legend
I *really* recommend y'all to play at least one campaign up into high levels before increasing the Three attunement limit.

And I'm saying this as perhaps *the* most vocal proponent of magic item rich campaigns around here!

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads