• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AU - first impressions?

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
anonystu said:
That it costs the modify spell feat (for the penny-pincher version) is no problem at all: modify spell is a rough combination of about 6 or 7 metamagic feats from D&D, except for that every single one of those metamagic feats now costs less (they only laden spells instead of raising levels). It's a pretty easy must-take feat for just about any spellcaster.

A compelling argument.

I'll still be picking the book up when it gets to my FLGS. But it does seem that moving bits of AU to 3.5 won't be "plug and play". Bit of a pity there. However, I'm confidient that AU is balanced within its own context.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Radiant said:

And you can read all about it here. There are two pdf teasers (one for the Greenbond class and one for the Giant race), a lot of design diary stuff (thought about the design process, and why certain things are the way they are).

Hopefully, my copy will be here tomorrow or Thursday; it was shipped from Atlanta today, but I can't tell where it is because the tracking number is either incorrect or it hasn't been scanned that first time, yet.

So far, the plan is this: incorporate the AU classes and magic system into my existing Greatwood setting, with a few of the PHB races as well.

I doubt I'll use the Verrick, Sebaccai or Litorians right now, but the Giants would fit. The Mohj.. the mohj would definately fit. This just on the basis of the Greenbond preview, mind you, and the description of how spells work. The Greenbond is very much more my vision of the druid than the PHB version, and druids are very, very important to the setting. More so than any other caster.

We'll see if the plan survives contact :)

TrubbulTheTroll

First Post
drnuncheon said:

You know, I don't particularly like hockey. But I don't go up to people talking about hockey and continually tell them about how I don't like hockey, and how it is a stupid sport (even though I have never watched hockey in my life and only know about it second-hand).

If I did, I would be considered an ass.

Food for thought.

J

Well said indeed! Now to see if this worthy point reached the target. Time to read on.

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
More evidence of problems with spell reagents and empowering:

The sixth-level battle sorceror pulls out a lightning bolt: 6d6
That sixth-level magister, who has all the simple and complex spells in the book, can pull out an empowered firefire eldritch sorcerous bolt (a lightning bolt where you choose the element): (6d6 + 2d6) * 1.5 = 12d6 for two third level slots and 20gp.

Thrommel (one of the Council of Magisters people) and myself have come up with a set of possible fixes for this if you see it as a problem (as I do):

1) Spells cast using a spell reagent take twice as long to cast (standard action x 2 = 1 round casting time (not full-round)). This is both balancing and has neat flavor: when the magister pulls out a gem and crushes it, you know you better try to stop him before the spell goes off.

2) Split off the empower spell into its own feat (Infuse Spell), where it costs +1 spell level to empower, and (maybe, haven't thought of this carefully) +2 levels to maximize. Modify Spell is still awesome without it.

This isn't of course, endorsed by the council, but just a suggestion.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Monte At Home said:
Anonystu, I will point out that you keep comparing non-maxed D&D characters with maxed AU characters to make your points.

This is an interesting point.

But I guess my question for clarity, would be what part of D&D would you consider for maximizing a D&D character? Just the 3.5 PHB, Tome & Blood, 3rd party support via Book of Eldrich Might?

BryonD

Hero
Any suggestions for how to "max" a L6 sorcerer's lightning bolts?

Seriously, the maxed out AU guys seem to be pretty obvious "the way to go" characters. What D&D equivalent is a more fair comparison?

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
Monte At Home said:
Anonystu, I will point out that you keep comparing non-maxed D&D characters with maxed AU characters to make your points.

I haven't read Tome & Blood in a while, so if there are obvious feats I'm missing.

I probably should add spell focus and greater spell focus (3.5 versions) to the ED examples: a battle mage would almost certainly have those for evocation. Sorry about that.

(Edit: this is done, the ed examples now account for sf and gsf)

I'll go back and do that.

Other than that, I'm not sure what to do to max them out further. I mean, maybe they could have rods of empowering or something, but I think those are pretty darn expensive.

Last edited:

BryonD

Hero
dagger said:
Isnt it like comparing apples and oranges....?

They have been advertised as balanced.

I don't yet have enough data to say that they are not. I should have MY book in a day or two.

So I am not saying that they are not balanced. But, based on the info spread about so far, I am asking for more details.

Remove ads