• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AU Item Creation Feats

Laman Stahros

First Post
Okay, I know there have to be others out there trying to use the Arcana Unearthed item creation feats with the normal magic system. If there was a thread on this, please post the link.

How easy is it to do the conversion to this system of item creation feats?:confused:
Is it worth doing?
What are the drawbacks of doing this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! TIA

der_kluge

Adventurer
I don't know anything about the AU item creation feats, but have you taken a look at Mystic Eye Games' Artificer's Handbook? It has a condensed set of item creation feats, and a completely reworked formula-based item creation system which is easy to use.

Staffan

Legend
The drawbacks would be a slight loss of flavor, and a a lot less gauntlets/cloaks/bracers/whatever made by the PCs (since Craft Constant Item requires a pretty high level).

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I am using the system in the game I am starting next week.
I have added the ancestoral item feat from BoED, to make up for the loss of the multitude of wonderous items that most adventures carry. The players said they wanted more magic and treasure in the world than in my last one (as I am normally stingey with wealth and treasure.
The last campaign ended with 1-2 special items per person and about 8 misc items to provide bonuses per person.

moving wonderous items to 9th lvl insures that there will be very few of them avalible, and increases the chance that there will be proffesional crafters in large cities, but no where else. It increases the number of rings (which have been very rare as 12th lvl casters not easily found. They normally had other responsibilties.)
PCs who take the craft constant item feat should be sought after by other adventures wanting commissioned items.

Also I assume that other players and my own charater are familiar with the common Misc items, ie stat boosters, cloaks, amulets of Nat armor, rings of protection.
With all of these less common I would mix up these expected uses so that easy assumptions don't work. ie Bracers of NAC and Helmets or Reisitance.

ruleslawyer

Laman Stahros said:
Okay, I know there have to be others out there trying to use the Arcana Unearthed item creation feats with the normal magic system. If there was a thread on this, please post the link.

How easy is it to do the conversion to this system of item creation feats?:confused:
Very. The feats are based on core d20 concepts, so they're plug and play.
Is it worth doing?
IMHO, yes. I think the AU feat system goes a strong part of the way (though not all the way) toward fixing the D&D item creation rules, which are a bit illogical (largely because they skew toward Craft Wondrous Item at the expense of Forge Ring and Craft Rod).
What are the drawbacks of doing this?
None, IMHO. It's a modest, but highly useful, rules change. The one that I can see is providing a niche for the 3.5 staff, which currently doesn't exist in the AU rules. I'd suggest a feat that allows the creator of a spell-trigger item to insert the ability for the item to use its wielder's ability score(s) and other abilities to set save DCs and caster level.

Remove ads