• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[AU] Poor geographic feature or ?

Zerakon

First Post
I was just looking at the Diamond Throne preview at www.montecook.com and looking at the map of the Diamond Throne, it strikes me as really strange that there is a river leading down from the Bitter Peaks that runs southeast and then effectively straight through another mountain range, the Elder Mountains. Maybe I am just being overly picky; I like realistic maps that have sensical geographic features, but doesn't this seem really silly? That the Elder Peaks would just stop and then pick up again further south for a river to conveniently run straight through their middle? Is there perhaps a magical reason for this sudden gap in the mountain range (I hope)?

-- Zerakon the Game Mage

Last edited by a moderator:

Maraxle

First Post
Tarrasque Wrangler said:

Hmm, but I don't think most mountain ranges necessarily start at sea level. I think the foot of the Himalayas is still pretty far above sea level, for instance.
Well, maybe the Bitter Peaks start high up, like the Himalayas, and the Elder Mountains start lower.

There are also mountains that start below sea level, like Mauna Kea.

Zogg

First Post
You have to let go of reality. I mean, we could theorize about how, perhaps, the shifting of the plate tectonics on the planet of the Diamond Throne created such an anomoly (if it is indeed one) or perhaps the giants spent hundreds of years blasting through the mountains to extend the river to the ocean, or what have you. But really, you have to remember that this is another planet entirely - there are so many variables that to pick on one odd geographical feature of the map (that doesn't agree with Earth) is somewhat ludicrous.

Zerakon

First Post
jaerdaph said:
Psst: it's called a valley....

;)

I am seriously getting tired of reading remarks like this on these boards. Perhaps you should take a geography course when you're done with Condescension 101.

jaerdaph said:
You have to let go of reality.
I do? With regards to geography? I'm fine with letting go of reality and imagining mages and priests and demons and such, but I prefer my geography to be sensible, thanks.

...to pick on one odd geographical feature of the map (that doesn't agree with Earth) is somewhat ludicrous.
Sorry, I didn't realize I was being ludicrous. Geez, I asked in my post if there is indeed some magical reason for such an unbelievable geographical feature?

-- Zerakon the Game Mage

Last edited:

Zogg

First Post
Fine. :rolleyes: Simple explanation: the river lies between two plate tectonics. With time (ie., millions of years) the river will widen and the northern portion of the continent will begin to separate from the southern portion. Eventually the river will become a sea and look similar to the Mediterranean Sea.

If you look at the geographical changes Earth has gone through over it's millions of years of existence (it used to be one continent, you know) I'm sure you will find numerous examples of what you might call "nonsensical" geography.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Let's please not attack other posters, all. We're all here to have fun.

In regards to the geography, are there any valid reasons (physically) that there cannot be a valley through a mountain range like this one, or that there cannot be a foothills-like area running east-west between two separate mountain ranges?

Could it be possible that we are seeing an area that is the fault line for no less than three plates together?

volcivar

First Post
must have book

Unless Monte reponds, this just won't make sense until you have had a chance to read the book. I admit it looks a bit strange. Perhaps Monte has left it up to the DM to decide. He has said the book is to be gazetter style. So there will be a lot of details for the DM to fill in.

Is there really no geological explanation for this feature?

Remove ads