[AU] Siege on Ebonring Keep - Part 2

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Pyior nods gravely.

"Indeed, I hope no harm has befallen him. Speaking of the Trythium, my companions and I only spoke with them shortly, so we have little direct knowledge of their activities. I agree with Ys-Korros that they were certainly suspicious and unfriendly."

Rybaer

First Post
My apologies for letting this story get further and further behind. The time I have to devote to these boards has diminished with my change in job position. What time I can spare has been leaning more toward the Mutants and Masterminds games. Rather than just let it fall further behind, I'm going to offer up this final post...a choose your own ending scenario.

It's been a pleasure running this game and I sincerely wish I had more time to give it proper attention. Thanks for all your participation.

The stock happy ending...

The company parts ways from the Magisters. While returning to the Ebonring Keep, Khajom and Osric hook back up with them. Their investigation into the Trythium Cult has revealed that they are planning to take the Keep by force.

The company arrives at the Keep just ahead of a vastly superior force of litorians united under the Trythium banner. Iriana Truthseeker is relieved to see that the Ring has been secured. Scrambling through her notes, she places the ring in its proper place and is able to activate the Keep's magical defenses.

The Keep holds, though the battle is fierce. Iriana's magic reveals that a demonic presence is leading the Trythium, and a foul magic is influencing the otherwise neutral litorian tribes. Ritsar leads his new companions on a daring raid through the heart of the Trythium camp, where they successfully slay the demon and destroy the device it used to control the litorians.

Ritsar is welcomed back into litorian society with honor, the giants and litorians forge an alliance against the rhodin, and the Keep stands in defense of the region for decades to come under the benevolent watch of Lady Truthseeker.

The Revenge of the Ys ending...

(for George)

The company hooks back up with Khajom and Osric on their way to the Keep. They have learned that the Trythium has a mysterious and unseen leader pulling the strings of its expansion. Worse, they're planning on striking at the Ebonring Keep, fearing that it could be a thorn in their side if the humans and giants are able to fortify that position.

Back at the Keep, the group is preparing to present the Ring to Iriana. Ritsar inadvertantly overhears a whispered conversation between Iriana and one of the officers...saying that she will use the ring's powers to lower the Keep's defenses when the Trythium attack. She's a traitor!

Ritsar races to the Ring chamber where the others are waiting for Iriana. He quickly tries to explain what he just heard. Iriana arrives and suspects that something is amiss. When the company confronts her, she laughs evilly and casts a spell. Ys-Baddaden snatches the Ebonring from Pyior's unsuspecting grasp. Iriana orders him to use its powers, and the giant slips it on.

Ritsar tries to grab Ys-Baddaden, but the huge giant back-hands the litorian across the room, where he is knocked unconscious. Iriana unleashes a bolt of lightning at Osric, slaying him instantly. Ys-Korros lets out a cry of anguish as he sees the evil in his brother's eyes...the two squaring off. Pyior, across the room, squares off against Iriana, both with their magister staffs at the ready.

Ys-Baddaden uses the Ebonring to open a secret passage in the floor...a spiral staircase that leads down and down. He attacks Ys-Korros ruthlessly, constantly going for the killing blow. Ys-Korros does his best to hold off the attack, pleading with his brother to overcome the corrupting influence of Iriana and the ring. Ys-Baddaden doesn't let up and steers the fight down the stairs...and into a deep volcanic cavern complete with a river of lava!

Back up in the ring chamber, Pyior and Iriana exchange spells. Pyior tries to use his small size to take advantage of the cover in the room. He's outmatched and knows it. Iriana continues to fling lightning bolts, destroying the room. One blast knocks his staff from his hands, but it also makes a small crack in the wall. Pyior makes the only realistic choice and flees through the crack. He races to the trapdoor that leads to the secret cavern exit from the Keep...and escapes.

In an epic battle above the lava, the two brothers are evenly matched. Ys-Korros uses his superior knowledge of tactics to claim the higher ground. In spite of Ys-Korros' warnings, Ys-Baddaden aggressively attacks and is cut down by his brother. Ys-Baddaden slides down the rocky slope, touching the lava and igniting. Ys-Korros, heartbroken, leaves his brother for dead.

Ys-Korros eventually escapes and catches up with Pyior back at Shaddeck some time later. Word reaches them that the Ebonring Keep is now under control of the Trythium, and the giant and human forces there are now aligned with the litorians under the self-proclaimed Emperor Truthseeker. The two go into exile, promising one day to return and set things right.

The Scooby-Doo ending...

The company races back to the Keep with the ring. As they approach, it becomes clear that the Trythium have it surrounded and are laying siege. Luckily, the heroes know of the back way in through the cave.

They encounter a handful of inept guards on the way through the caves and are able to make it in through the trapdoor on the lower level. The sounds of fighting can be heard from up the stairs - the Trythium have made it through the front gate and are now fighting in the main hall.

The group finds Iriana waiting in the ring chamber. She's stunned and overjoyed to see the company arrive at the last moment with the ring. Pyior hands it over and Iriana places it on the pedestal just as a group of litorian warriors burst through the door.

"Halt!" Iriana cries out, and the magic of the ring is amplified through the Keep. All the Trythium soldiers are magically frozen in place. "Your invasion is at an end, Lord Jom-Kha!"

The litorian leader scowls at Iriana in frustration. Iriana steps up to him and tilts her head in curiosity. "Interesting," she says. "You're wearing a mask of disguise. Let's see who's really behind the Trythium cult."

She pulls off his mask and reveals Khajom!

"And my plan would have worked, too, if it wasn't for you crazy kids!" he says with a snarl at his former companions.

The End!

Erekose13

Explorer
Thank you very much Rybaer for your wonderful adventure. I've had a great time playing Ys-Korros. This is the longest lasting game I've had the pleasure of playing in and I am happy to see it wrapped up nicely with your triple ending. The scooby doo one was quite funny.

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
I echo Erekose13's thanks for a well-done game, Rybaer! No worries about calling an end, it had reached a natural stopping point -- and actually the first of my games that has done so rather than ending in the middle of the action. It was also my longest-lasting game here on the boards over the last three or four years.

Thanks also to my fellow players. You're all good role-players!

Remove ads