• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Aug] What Are You Reading?

Imperialus

Explorer
Right now I'm finishing up The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fford. Sorta... sci fi/alternate history for lit snobs. It's set in 1984 and a litra tech detective (literally investigates crimes to do with literature) ends up chasing after a criminal who managed to kidnap Jayne Eyre from Bronte's novel. It's really quite funny since the entire world is built around authors and characters from books having the same pop culture status as basketball stars and rappers. They even have trading cards and riots have broken out between fans of different authors.

Next on the list is probably going to either be Atlas Shrugged by Ann Ryand (sp?) or Nuromancer by William Gibson... I havn't decided yet though it'll probably be Nuromancer, since I don't have the time to dedicate to bashing my way through Ann's beast of a book.

P0L

Explorer
Just finished "Woken Furies" The 3rd book starring Takeshi Kovacks by Richard Morgan

The first one of the series, Altered Carbon is still the best, but this is a very good book. Cyberpunk science fiction, very bloody and with lots of interesting and believable concepts (memory stored in a chip, nanotech, bioweapons, etc etc..). Recommended.

Now starting "Guards! Guards!" of the discworld series, but I'm a little tired of it and looking for something new...

Renton

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Same here, although I didn't get past page 150. Too bad; the premise seemed quite good, but the writing sucked, IMO. I'll probably just grit my teeth and power through it one of these days; supposedly subsequent books improve significantly.

I'll third that. Tried twice to get into it, but it just isn't happening.

RIght now, I'm on a Pratchett kick, just read Going Postal (Very Good), and reading Monstrous Regiment (Merely OK). Next up is The Kite Runner.

Zweihänder

First Post
Finishing up the Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore. Also working on Daggerspell by Katharine Kerr, re-reading Shogun by James Clavell, and finishing a book of H.P. Lovecraft short stories.

DarkSoldier

First Post
I got a large order of books from the Sci-Fi Book Club a few weeks ago, and I'm halfway through Rendezvous with Rama. When I finish that, I have the American Empire series and the Hunter's Blades trilogy ahead.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I took a break from The Neutronium Alchemist and read the last two Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse books: Dead to The World and Dead as a Doornail. Wonderful books. Grave Sight, out in October, looks like it will be a great new paranormal series for her. Then I picked up Gil's All Fright Diner and started it. So far, pretty darn good. You gotta love zombie cows.

Elodan

Adventurer
I've jumped between genres this month.

Furies of Calderon; Jim Butcher
Last Man Standing
[font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]; David Baldacci
Best of the Realms; various
JLA Vol. 5: Justice for All; Grant Morrison
Eleven on Top; [/size][/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Janet Evanovich
JLA Vol. 6: World War III; Grant Morrison

[/size][/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]and just started

[/size][/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Forsaken House, Forgotten Realms: Last Mythal Book I; Richard Baker

[/size][/font]

Starman

Adventurer
Imperialus said:
Next on the list is probably going to either be Atlas Shrugged by Ann Ryand (sp?) or Nuromancer by William Gibson... I havn't decided yet though it'll probably be Nuromancer, since I don't have the time to dedicate to bashing my way through Ann's beast of a book.

Atlas Shrugged was one of the most painful reads in my life. Reading the entire thing is, perhaps, the greatest feat of mental stamina I ever have, or ever will, endure.

Starman

Remove ads