• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Augment Summon with wands?

Doctor DM

First Post
So I have a druid summoner character with the Augment Summon and Greenbound Summoning feats. I also have a wand of Summon Nature's Ally I.

Now I thought that if I summon something with my wand, it should get the benefits of Augment Summon and Greenbound Summoning, but my DM says they shouldn't.

However, he said if I could find out on here that I could, he would let me.

So, do they? I don't see why they shouldn't.

calebw

First Post
"AUGMENT SUMMONING [GENERAL]
Prerequisite: Spell Focus (conjuration).
Benefit: Each creature you conjure with any summon spell gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Constitution for the duration of the spell that summoned it."

yes and no. yes you can have the affects of those feats on your summons, but you must prepare the wand using those feats. at least that is the way i do it. for instance, when a caster is preparing a wand, he will cast the desired spell on the wand, like maximized fireball, which is a 5th level spell equivalent. he gains the benefit of that feat as he prepares ahead of time on the wand. i am not too terrible sure about druids and wands, but i am sure it is the same way. unless it states otherwise in magic with druids.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Doctor DM said:
So, do they? I don't see why they shouldn't.

They don't, just as you don't apply the benefits of Spell Focus, or Metamagic feats, or Augment Healing, or your own caster level to wands at activation time.

But don't complain - you've got Greenbound Summoning! You already won!

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
calebw said:
yes and no. yes you can have the affects of those feats on your summons, but you must prepare the wand using those feats. at least that is the way i do it. for instance, when a caster is preparing a wand, he will cast the desired spell on the wand, like maximized fireball, which is a 5th level spell equivalent. he gains the benefit of that feat as he prepares ahead of time on the wand. i am not too terrible sure about druids and wands, but i am sure it is the same way. unless it states otherwise in magic with druids.

Firstly, neither Augment Summoning nor Greenbound Summoning are metamagic feats, so they don't apply to crafting a wand.

Secondly, Maximized Fireball is 6th level equivalent.

Thirdly, level limits on wands apply to the higher, metamagicked level, and you can't have a wand with a higher-than-4th-level spell in it.

Fourthly, I get the impression that he has a vanilla Wand of Summon Nature's Ally I, that he wishes to apply his feats to at activation time, rather than at crafting time.

-Hyp.

calebw

First Post
sorry i said anything hyp.

and also, wouldn't it depend on the wand? if the DM said it can't be done, than it can't...right? unless otherwise stated. like i said, i am not terribly familiar with druid-like-magic. i would look it up in the DMG to be sure.

if those feats aren't metamagic though, you should be able to use them while casting without preparation.

Last edited:

UltimaGabe

First Post
calebw said:
sorry i said anything hyp.

and also, wouldn't it depend on the wand? if the DM said it can't be done, than it can't...right? unless otherwise stated. like i said, i am not terribly familiar with druid-like-magic. i would look it up in the DMG to be sure.

if those feats aren't metamagic though, you should be able to use them while casting without preparation.

Druid magic is just like any other magic, you just have to be a Druid in order to use it.

Anyway, nothing that affects the spell itself (metamagic or not) will apply to the spell if you're not really casting it, unless it specifically affects spells from items.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Goolpsy said:
Buy a Staff ? It uses your caster level, and costs the same
A staff will usually cost more (for the same spell level) because of the minimum caster level of 8 for staffs (not even including the cost of the masterwork staff to begin with).

Storme

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
A staff will usually cost more (for the same spell level) because of the minimum caster level of 8 for staffs (not even including the cost of the masterwork staff to begin with).

One must assume that if the character could do this he would.

Back to your question.

Personally I don't think it would work. Magic Item Infusion Feat allows feats to be applied to spell trigger devices, but as Hyp pointed out, neither of the abilites in question are metamagic feats.

What this tells me is, without Magic Item Infusion, a cleric cannot add a metamagic feat to his wand or staff. Therefore I would conclude that he couldn't do it with a Class Feature either until someone publishes a Class Feature Infusion Feat...hehe. The power of the wand is the power of the person who made it. A level 43 wizard shooting a wand of fireballs made by a level 6 crafter is going to do 6d6. Since a staff effect is based on the Holder's level and not the creator in most cases, I could see allowing it in that case, but for the same reasons I would still personally rule against it.

Storme

akbearfoot

First Post
Isn't greenbound summoning that rediculous feat that lets all your SNA critters cast wall of thorns and a bunch of other stuff?

Honk if you get queasy around broken things...-honk!

Remove ads