• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

augmented crittical

jason_gosse

First Post
There is an ability called augmented crittical. I can only find mention of it for a monster in mm2, that being the nimblewright. Now I am trying to find out is this exclusive to this creature or is it a feat.

Kafkonia

First Post
jason_gosse said:
Damn, I was hoping to find a way to improve my crit range above what can be done by imp crit.

Sweet talk your DM into letting it stack with keen?

I've seen a house rule where it takes the "a doubling of a doubling is a trebling, not a quadrupling" approach. IOW, a keen weapon wielded by someone with improved crit gets 3x the threat range (the base, plus the same range, plus the same range) rather than 4x.

Personally, I like this, because a magical sharpening of the blade is completely different from having honed your skill with a particular weapon. But I can see why it was nerfed.

Another approach is just to pump lots of feats into Power Critical. While it doesn't expand your crit threat range, it makes it a lot more likely for you to confirm when you do threaten -- which might be better in the long run.

Last edited:

jason_gosse

First Post
Kafkonia said:
Sweet talk your DM into letting it stack with keen?

I've seen a house rule where it takes the "a doubling of a doubling is a trebling, not a quadrupling" approach. IOW, a keen weapon wielded by someone with improved crit gets 3x the threat range (the base, plus the same range, plus the same range) rather than 4x.

Personally, I like this, because a magical sharpening of the blade is completely different from having honed your skill with a particular weapon. But I can see why it was nerfed.

He has said no to that in the past, and I don't think he could be talked into it. But possibly into treating augment crit as a feat that you need imp crit as a prereq and possibly some min bab

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kafkonia said:

That's exactly how it worked in 3E.

A Keen Imp Crit battleaxe was 18-20/x3, not 17-20/x3.

-Hyp.

Dross

Explorer
Are there any spells that increase the chance of criting, like say hunter's mercy does for Rangers? Not usefull all the time admittedly, but when really needed......

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Dross said:
Are there any spells that increase the chance of criting, like say hunter's mercy does for Rangers? Not usefull all the time admittedly, but when really needed......

There's Bless Weapon, where any threat is automatically confirmed against evil creatures...

And it's a first level spell, so a wand will only cost you 1500gp for 50 charges (or 750 if you know an Archivist). Grab some UMD and you're good to go!

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads