• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) August 18th Tarrasque-sized D&D News (Poll)

The August 18th Tarrasque-sized D&D News will be:

• 50AE Public Playtest

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • VTT Beta

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • All Access Content Tier for DDB

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • AAA Video Game

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • New Adventure Path

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Highly Anticipated Classic Setting

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 14 13.9%

• Poll closed .

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
"Teasing for years" makes me think Planescape, which certainly has been teased in various ways. But it's hard to parse what "years" means. The ~4 years that Winninger has been there? The ~8 years since 5E launched?

Official VTT feels like something they ought to do and would feel "big".

New adventure and classic setting could easily be the same product if it's Planescape and they handle it same way they are Dragonlance and Spelljammer.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
"Teasing for years" makes me think Planescape, which certainly has been teased in various ways. But it's hard to parse what "years" means. The ~4 years that Winninger has been there? The ~8 years since 5E launched?
Could be both. They put a lot of little references in the DMG and sprinkle more in with each AP they publish. So it could be something they had as a reference early on that Winninger wanted to expand on after he took over.

Official VTT feels like something they ought to do and would feel "big".
I just have a gut feeling that with the DDB acquisition so recent they haven't really had time to develop their own VTT, and I think modern day Wizards is far less likely to announce something that isn't ready to roll out quickly than they were 10 years ago (I also think that they're as likely to acquire a VTT as roll their own, possibly more likely).

New adventure and classic setting could easily be the same product if it's Planescape and they handle it same way they are Dragonlance and Spelljammer.
That works for just about anything tho - they could do the same thing with a Greyhawk release or a Dark Sun release.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I just have a gut feeling that with the DDB acquisition so recent they haven't really had time to develop their own VTT, and I think modern day Wizards is far less likely to announce something that isn't ready to roll out quickly than they were 10 years ago (I also think that they're as likely to acquire a VTT as roll their own, possibly more likely).

I totally agree with this, with the caveat that DNDBeyond was already working internally on a VTT. That project seems dormant for the past couple of years, but depending on how far along it was before the acquisition, it might not be THAT far from a launch.

I also agree that it would make more sense for them to buy Roll20 than to make their own VTT, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Each year they DON'T have an official VTT (either by making one or buying one), they're leaving another year of money on the table imo.

Last edited:

Jer

Legend
Supporter
A D&D theme park
schitts creek what GIF by CBC

in the metaverse.
Magic No GIF by Morphin

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Given the heavy Magic presence in the hype, could also be the launch of some sort of "digital home for all things Wizards of the Coast" portal site where you could play both games online. Maybe a VTT, maybe a Yawning Portal thing to hook you up with human DMs.

Could be that Atomic Arcade they trademarked a while back.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads