• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Authors of D&DNext adventures

kevtar

First Post
I've been playing 1st AD&D with my family for about a month now. The primary reason is because my son, who has played D&D with me for about 10 years now (he started when he was 10), wanted to have the "classic D&D experience." With the "classic" D&D experience in mind, I started to plan out what adventures we would play together. Here is the list thus far:

1.) Against the cult of the reptile gods (Douglas Niles)
2.) Desert of desolation (Tracy & Laura Hickman)
a) Pharaoh
b) Oasis of the White Palm
c) Lost Tomb of Martek

After this, I'm not sure what to choose. I considered Against the Giants/Descent into the Depths of the Earth (Gary Gygax), but I haven't decided. There were so many other choices, but I had convereted many of them into 3.5 and 4e adventures (e.g. White Plume Mountain, Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth and Tomb of the Lizard King - I'm saving Ravenloft for when my oldest son comes home in September!), but what really caught my eye was the names of the authors of the "classic" D&D adventures. Then I got ta thinkin'...

In addition to the current game designers, WoTC should approach "classic D&D" authors to write, or co-write, a line of adventures for D&D next (or at least advise and/or write introductions for them).

These are people who have had an extensive relationship with "classic" D&D material, and although they may have moved in different directions later on their careers, I'm thinking that some of them could offer an interesting perspective on the game as it moves forward in trying to give players the "essential D&D experience."

For example, Tracy & Laura Hickman have written some great adventures (in addition to a slew of Dragonlance novels). Ravenloft, Dragons of Desolation, and the Desert of Desolation series. I've enjoyed Douglas Niles' "Darkwell" series of books and we had fun playing "Against the cult of the reptile god." Don Turnbull wrote a few adventures and collaborated with a number of people including Gary Gygax. Other authors include Mark Acres (Tomb of the Lizard King), Dave Cook (Dwellers of the Forbidden City), Tom Moldvay (The Lost City) and Lawrence Schick (White Pume Mountain). As an added bonus, maybe Jeff Easley and Larry Elmore (and other "classic" artists) could contribute some artwork for the modules.

Perhaps some of the "old guard" would interested in revisiting D&D? Perhaps not. I at least would love to see something from Tracy & Laura Hickman. Of course, with Gary gone there's going to be a certain void that can't be filled, but perhaps someone of that era in gaming, who still holds and interest in RPGing and D&D in particular, could write an homage to Gary's contribution (and the others) for the next iteration of the game.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Here's Mentzer, Ward, Kask, and Christopher Clark: Eldritch Enterprises | Putting a new edge on an old and trusted blade.

David Carr might make something if asked. So might David "Zeb" Cook.

Hickman did some work for the Serenity game and Weis has her own company. They might be able to contracted for work though.

I know I can't really speak for any of them. There has been other material written over the years and you might want to start hunting down that first and converting it.

My suggestion is taking the very best adventures from the Dungeon Magazine and assembling them into adventure compilations converted into whatever the next D&D will be. There's more than enough copyrighted material there that is too difficult to easily purchase for most collectors, therefore a potential market.

Remove ads