• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Automatic Languages?

Hackenslash

First Post
Int. Mod. = number of Auto Lang. for free.

Hello,

IMO I would say Yes, they do get those automatic languages for free, but they must have the relevent intellegence modifier to support the languages selected for free. For example, if you had an intellegence of say 14, then your int. mod. would be +2, therefore you could select 2 "Automatic" languages for free as in paying no skill points like other characters do. If your int. modifier was 0 or -1 etc.. then although your race states it gets automatic languages, unfortunately your intelligence would not support this, and consequently you would only have your own language for free and would have to pay skill points to get any more. Eg. A 1st Level Elf with an int. of 8 would have an int. mod. of -1, therefore they would start play with only one language, Elvish and would have to pay skill points to get common, and or other languages etc...I think that this is a fair way of dealing with Automatic and bonus langauges and seems quite logical. If your DM is nice he/she may grant common for free aswell as your own racial language. Hope this helps ! :)

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Hackenslash where did you get this rational (it is interesting) is it an alternet system or a house rule? The PHB (page 12 Race and Languages) is pretty clear that you gain all Automatic Language for free reguardless of Intelligence and gain one Bonus Language per point of Intelligence bonus.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
A character gets all automatic languages regardless of intelligence. They might get a number of bonus languages (from the bonus language list(s)) depending on their Int score.

Hackenslash

First Post
Sorry, maybe it was a House rule !!!!

To Camarath - I think that it might have been a house rule by our DM from 1st or 2nd edition that we have carried over to 3rd edition as it sort of makes sence I think. I use it in my own campaigns too.:)

Norfleet

First Post
Automatic languages are freebies, even if the character is dumb enough to probably have difficulty mastering his own language. Whether this is good or bad is irrelevant, because I'm the one with the gun.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Now we have fully strayed into houserule territory anyway:

I prefer giving humans several languages depending on region, then changing 'common' into 'merchant tongue' or 'mercenary lingo': A language very rudimentary and simple, but hence giving a -5 on language based checks (bluff, diplomacy) if used (a pidgin language basically). Give humans the human language of their region.

This way, you have people learning a lot more languages, which may or may not be desirable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads