D&D 4E Avenger DnD 4e Woes

drowwanton

First Post
I've been playing a Drow Avenger who worships the Raven Queen. I was wondering what you guys think of the class, and how could one maximize this class to it's full potential. Also, would taking on the multiclass feat be something I would have to incorporate to be more of a use in the campaign. As of right now I have been blasting things with pure archery, but the Avenger class doesn't help with range as it's meant to be a more Striker class. So would taking the Ranger feat help out as well.

Zathris

First Post
MC Ranger isn't going to solve your problem of playing an Avenger wrong, drop the Bow and pick up a 2h Melee Weapon or get permission to change your class to something that can use a Bow well.

wasteomana

First Post
Basically if you want to be someone with a bow, you really don't want to be an avenger. Your primary striker feature as an Avenger is Oath of Enmity. OoE only applies to melee attacks. So using it for ranged attacks (I'm ignoring Distant Vengeance because it is also bad outside of very niche situations) doesn't help you and that means you are wasting a good chunk of your class. If you want to be ranged you should just be a ranged class and go from there (Ranger being the archetypical one, but others exist that can use a bow well).

MwaO

Adventurer
+1. One thing to try is to see if either a Ranger or Seeker refluffed to be Divine might fit the bill.

If you want to maximize an Avenger, it definitely needs to be melee.

drowwanton

First Post
MC Ranger isn't going to solve your problem of playing an Avenger wrong, drop the Bow and pick up a 2h Melee Weapon or get permission to change your class to something that can use a Bow well.

Well Zathris I know it won't solve the issue after thorough research after posing this question. I just wanted to try something different out the norm for me. Now I do however have the two weapon fighting feat. I actually have the Drow Fighting Style feat. So, I guess I would need to know a bit more and how effective will two weapon fighting be for an Avenger in your eyes.

Basically if you want to be someone with a bow, you really don't want to be an avenger. Your primary striker feature as an Avenger is Oath of Enmity. OoE only applies to melee attacks. So using it for ranged attacks (I'm ignoring Distant Vengeance because it is also bad outside of very niche situations) doesn't help you and that means you are wasting a good chunk of your class. If you want to be ranged you should just be a ranged class and go from there (Ranger being the archetypical one, but others exist that can use a bow well).

Alright. See my reasoning behind going with this class was to step from the norm of a bunch of Drizzt's running around in the world. I wanted to go with something different and I have never really played a class that relied solely on it's deity’s power like this one. Now, if I were to switch it up and go either Bladesinger or Sword Mage with the Multi Class Feat...would that seem to help bolster the abilities of an Avenger.
+1. One thing to try is to see if either a Ranger or Seeker refluffed to be Divine might fit the bill.

If you want to maximize an Avenger, it definitely needs to be melee.

Also, I was looking to find a guide much like the one that was created for Bladesinger. However, it was lacking both an Avenger guideline as well as a Swordmage. Will we be seeing those and is anyone working on one?

Zathris

First Post
It's funny when people mention it, because I have literally never seen a Drow Two Weapon Fighting Ranger. Everyone is so terrified of playing a "stereotypical Drizzt" or realizes that Drow really don't make good Rangers.

Anyway, Avengers use 2-handers. If you want to be a striker that dual wields, Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger, and Rogue cover that pretty sufficiently

wasteomana

First Post
Alright. See my reasoning behind going with this class was to step from the norm of a bunch of Drizzt's running around in the world. I wanted to go with something different and I have never really played a class that relied solely on it's deity’s power like this one. Now, if I were to switch it up and go either Bladesinger or Sword Mage with the Multi Class Feat...would that seem to help bolster the abilities of an Avenger.

This doesn't say anything about being an Avenger. If you don't want to play a Ranger with a bow you can play a Seeker with a bow, or a Fighter with a bow, or a Warlord with a Bow. The goal is to play something that matches roughly with the class you are attempting to put with it. Avenger and bow just don't get along.

Now if you are going dual wield instead of two-handed (because you don't like two-handed for some reason), you could also go Ranger|Cleric. Gives you an excellent dual wielding melee class with a strong divine tilt. You could even MC Avenger if you wanted to try out that Oath of Enmity thing as a melee character.

As far as an Avenger guide goes, by all means check out the handbook. Also you can post your build and get some feedback. Avenger is, generally, pretty easy to make passable and not that hard to make "decent", just because OoE + Twohander = Ok. Your power selection is a little meh, but making one that won't be an embarrassment is pretty straightforward. Unfortunately step 1 of that Avenger is "use a melee weapon".

Remove ads