• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Avenger. What am I missing?

ki11erDM

Explorer
Avenger is a striker… but I don’t see the strike part… is getting to reroll your attack 1-3 times in a combat on one monster really that good? Or did I miss something else?
(I am sure this has been talked about already so fell free to point me to some other thread)

chaotix42

First Post
Hmmm? When the target of your Oath of Enmity dies you recharge the power and can use it on another target. Also, if you're only getting to use your re-roll 1 - 3 times before it dies then:

a) you're not a very good avenger
b) the DM is really making it difficult for you to do your shtick by swarming you with monsters and/or nasty conditions

or

c) the party is focus-firing enough that the monster dies before you can get more than 1 - 3 attacks in on it

Ryujin

Legend
Avenger is a striker… but I don’t see the strike part… is getting to reroll your attack 1-3 times in a combat on one monster really that good? Or did I miss something else?
(I am sure this has been talked about already so fell free to point me to some other thread)

A striker can be effective by either hitting harder, or hitting more often. Significantly increasing your odds of hitting increases your average damage over the course of a battle and reduces the odds that your encounter and daily powers might miss.

hong

WotC's bitch
After you kill your first target, you can refocus on another target. Repeat until everyone is dead.

(In general it seems that avengers lack in raw DPS compared to TWF rangers, but with more hp and AC they should also be a lot more durable. They're like quasi-defenders.)

Herschel

Adventurer
After you kill your first target, you can refocus on another target. Repeat until everyone is dead.

(In general it seems that avengers lack in raw DPS compared to TWF rangers, but with more hp and AC they should also be a lot more durable. They're like quasi-defenders.)

This. They're less glass cannons and more hit early and often for decent damage and be able to stand toe-to-toe.

WalterKovacs

First Post
They also score criticals nearly twice as often (before paragon at least) and like a barbarian, you are encouraged to wield a two handed weapon (since you have no off hand attacks, no need for an implement you need to hold in your hand, and you don't want a shield), and with the increased accuracy of the extra rolls you can afford to take the extra damage at the cost of it being 'only' +2 proficiency. Two handed weapon + increased accuracy combine to make for striker damage output, and occaisionally you'll get a bit more damage (although it will more often discourage enemies from disrespecting your censure more than giving you extra damage).

fba827

Adventurer
you can hit reliably for steady damage. As opposed to other strikers (like the barbarian) that will hit less reliably (more misses) but will have large damage spikes.

So, really, it's about personal preference -- do you like accuracy with steady damage, or less accuracy with spikes of damage?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads