• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Avoiding AOO via Readied Actions?

two

First Post
It this legal?

Player A and Player B are next to monster XXX.

Player B has been dishing out lots of damage and monster XXX is targeting that PC.

Player A wants to cast a spell but can't without drawing an AOO from the monster (can't move, bad concentration, etc.).

Can Player A ready the following action:

"When Monster XXX attacks Player B I cast spell YYY?"

So, just as Monster XXX attacks, this PC casts a spell.

Question: does the Monster get an AOO?

Yes: because the rules say so.
No: the readied action gives the monster essentially no "time" to take an AOO.

Your thoughts?

Vraister

First Post
Yes.

Otherwise the player could also say "When the monster attacks me I cast the spell x." which would be a bad thing.

As soon as player B gets his ready action its not the monsters turn and it therefore gets AoO.

Vraister

MarkB

Legend
Whether it's the monster's turn or not makes no difference - if an opponent provokes an AoO during your turn (which can happen), you still get to make the AoO, assuming you have one available.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The question gave me an interesting idea, but there are at least a couple of ways to read the rules so that it doesn't work.

Hinging on the concept of "Take your standard action to Ready a move, and while that action is readied, take your move action to move... potentially triggering your Readied action mid-movement."

As a way to move past someone without taking an AoO hit on the way, for example.

-Hyp.

pawsplay

Hero
Hypersmurf said:
The question gave me an interesting idea, but there are at least a couple of ways to read the rules so that it doesn't work.

Hinging on the concept of "Take your standard action to Ready a move, and while that action is readied, take your move action to move... potentially triggering your Readied action mid-movement."

As a way to move past someone without taking an AoO hit on the way, for example.

-Hyp.

Wouldn't the readied move still trigger the AoO though?

Remove ads