D&D 5E Avoiding Explosions in a Tiny Hut

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
D'oh. My eyes must have skimmed right over that. In my defense, I was skimming for the word "caster."
When I read the OP, I read the spell and it was the first time I think I saw it. I don't think it's ever come up though in my games where the caster leaves the dome. So probably never anything to keep front of mind.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
PCs are supposed to solve problems and be creative, right? This isn't a problem to lament, it is something to celebrate. As PCs become more powerful they'll have more options to bypass problems. Let them. Congratulate them. Celebrate the success. As a DM, you're there to help weave a good story and give them a mix of interesting challenges and chances to show that they're playing heroes. If everything is designed to be a deadly trap, deadly encounter impossible puzzle they stop feeling like heroes. Let your Spider-men face off against some of those run of the mill muggers!
I celebrate the success by acting like they got one over on me and grumbling about it. Players tend to like that in my experience more than kudos from the DM. Though I'm fair and neutral when it comes to adjudication, a little bit of playing The Heel is good for effect.

I celebrate the success by acting like they got one over on me and grumbling about it. Players tend to like that in my experience more than kudos from the DM. Though I'm fair and neutral when it comes to adjudication, a little bit of playing The Heel is good for effect.
Yeah, I like to play up the "Damn you, Fireball!" aspect of the players making a challenge easier, too. They get a chuckle out of it and we move on to the next thing. The only time I'm really upset is when I don't have anything else planned for the session and now I'm forced to pull things out of my... thin air. But, then again, it makes me hone my improv skills (which do need honing, as long as I'm being honest) so: win-win!

Remove ads