• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AVP2 excerpt: Story Items! ARMOR!

MrMyth

First Post
I think the problem was their use of their term "Story Items" - people were expecting something completely new. Instead, it was just their way of presumably keeping most of the book filled to the brim with new items for those who want crunch, and have one section with items heavy on story hooks for those who want fluff. In theory, an ideal solution.

In theory.

Actually, I think it will be a good format, and I'm happy to see one small section with some expanded story elements, while the rest is still full of mostly crunch. I suspect many of those in this thread who were disappointed would not have had any issue with it if it hadn't been for false expectations, honestly.

mevers

First Post
What were you guys hoping for?

I agree with Klaus. I was hoping for Weapons of Legacy style items (but done well). Items that had cool backstory, but grew in power with the PCs.

As I said earlier, I have my own rules for items growing with the PCs (since I HATE the way DnD deals with magic items), so I will still get some use out of these, but they would have been even better / easier to use if WotC had done more of the work for me.

malraux

First Post
Aren't artifacts the 4e magic items with cool backstories that grow in power?

4e artifacts are good at being artifacts. They quickly grow in power and then mysteriously vanish over 1-3 levels. That's perfect for an artifact.

What I think most people wanted was something that grew in power at the same rate as the PC and stuck around for a long time (5-30 levels).

Shroomy

Adventurer
4e artifacts are good at being artifacts. They quickly grow in power and then mysteriously vanish over 1-3 levels. That's perfect for an artifact.

What I think most people wanted was something that grew in power at the same rate as the PC and stuck around for a long time (5-30 levels).

Rules for making that sort of stuff already exists. Its in Appendix 1 of the first AV.

malraux

First Post
Rules for making that sort of stuff already exists. Its in Appendix 1 of the first AV.

I had forgotten that was there. That said, it would be nice to have some items that bring that forward a bit more. And just because there are rules somewhere doesn't mean that having the work done already is a bad thing.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Artifacts are characters. NPCs. As such I think they are the best story items you could possibly come up with.

The fact that they leave after a few levels is lame - or is it? They are NPCs, so they only leave when they want to leave.

malraux

First Post
Artifacts are characters. NPCs. As such I think they are the best story items you could possibly come up with.

The fact that they leave after a few levels is lame - or is it? They are NPCs, so they only leave when they want to leave.

IMO, 4e's artifacts are the best the game has ever delivered. They do exactly what they should (be somewhat mysterious, offer a game changing element for a short time, but not destroy the game longterm).

I still think there is space for a retry of 3e's weapons of legacy; items that grow over many levels while not being significantly more powerful than the base items.

AllisterH

First Post
I think we're looking for those inbetween magic items.

Not as powerful as artifacts (truly agree, best rules implementation for artifacts in D&D) but better than the "create yourself/buy off the shelf" magic items.

Remove ads