• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

awaken spell and animal companions

Syunsuke

Roll 21.
I have some questions about druid spell awaken and animal companions.

Acording to Master of the Wild (P.37), awakened animals change to magical beast.And Monster Manual says Animal and Magical Beast have different HD,BAB,etc.
How to handle this?

example:
A normal tiger has 8HDs. When she awakened, she gets two HDs. Now, what HDs(or HP) do she have?
6d8+18(as normal tiger) + 2d8+6(bonus as Awakend)? or;
6d8+18(as normal tiger) + 2d10+6(bonus as Awakend :since she is now Magical beast, she get d10,notd8)? or;
8d10+24?(becouse she "changes to" Magical Beast with 6+2HD)?

And when she get another HD(as advancement), which dice will she get? I think d10...

Similar questions for BAB,skill point,etc.

Awakened animals get "humanlike sentience" and some languages. But,how about their knowlege? I think they have to learn many things about human society etc, but how much indeed?

I assume Awakend animals can gain class. Should their class levels be treated as HD when we calculate HD limit of animal companions? (I think yes, but want more opinios.)

examample:
Awakend tiger with fighter levels 4 may have 12HD(6 for normal tiger,2 for awakend, 4 for fighter). So, only 12 or higher level druid can have she as animal companion(asuming druid is traveling). Is this correct? (Assumig they can get XPs as Animal companions: this is question 4 bellow)

How Awakend Animals get XPs, if they are still animal companions ? Is it simply impossible ?
I know they can be treated as cohort(and get XPs at one-half rate), but I don't want to introduce Leadership feat and cohort.

And:
I want Awakened tiger wizard. I think she can't use spell book. It's another problem...

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
On 3) and 4)...

3) Whether Awakened animals can take classes is up to the DM. As far as the rules are concerned, they are intelligent enough to do so. But not every creature intelligent enough to take classes need be able to do so.

4) Awakened Animal Companions are an awkward case.
By core rules, they cease to be Animal Companions. They become fully intelligent NPCs, and may or may not stick around.
Bt MotW, they will generally stick around, and will use up the character's Companion HD. However, they still aren't really Companions - they are no longer merely an extention of the character, and if allowed to take classes they may earn XP. Probably best as per a cohort in the Leadership feat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads