Awakening Apocalypse - Chapter 2: The End of the Beginning

Mosier

First Post
Casper works for Sunset Shelters, a depressingly under-funded, under-appreciated, and misunderstood homeless charity organization. Although there are no Amerindians living openly in Denver, Sunset is sympathetic to them and is occasionally in the news for being suspected of employing them. Sometimes there are even obvious law enforcement agents posing as homeless men to get inside the shelter. Casper sees one such man today.

"You look native," the man says with a complete lack of subtlety. He is Hispanic, trying too hard to emphasize Amerind features. He has brand new clothes that have been recently deliberately torn and covered with dirt, to simulate years of hard life. Casper knows how this dance works. Almost automatically, she denies it. Mexican, not native, she says as she inspects the sleeping quarters of the place. The guy tries a bit longer to get her to confess, even outwardly claiming his own Amerind heritage. She tells him to get lost and kicks him out of the shelter, because they don't serve Amerinds here. But it feels funny, like she's watching someone else kick the creep out. It's all kind of hazy to her, in fact.

She doesn't feel well.

She takes an early night from the shelter and heads home. Something is wrong with her. Hopefully Casper isn't getting sick before a run. On the tram back to her neighborhood, there was yet another guy checking her out. But it wasn't a lecherous look, like the drunk guy before. The look is hopeful curiosity. Normally she sees that look on the face of much darker, more native looking people, who are wondering whether it's safe to open up to her. This guy was dark, but in a Spanish or south Italy kind of way. She meets his eye, and he grins. He gets off the tram at the next stop.

Somehow she gets the feeling she'll meet him again.

By the time she arrives home, her vision is swimming. Her muscles are aching. She's sweating. She fumbles with her key and sort of falls into her apartment when the door opens. She lands soft on the floor as the door closes behind her. This isn't so bad, she says to herself. I can sleep here awhile...

When her eyes next open, the sun is already up. She's still laying on the floor. All traces of illness are gone, and she feels as strong as ever.

Mosier

First Post
Of all the Runners, Heartbreak has the easiest time analyzing Aleksander's data. There's not much direct information about CTI's cyber security, but there's plenty of other useful info. Heartbreak has found the specs for CTI's security drones, and to be frank it will be almost laughably easy to brick them, or maybe even hijack individual drones.

Heartbreak also sees more subtle information in the files. They don't tell him directly what the restricted areas contain, but using context and intuition Heartbreak is able to find an area that he's pretty sure is the Pow! drink preparation facility, not too far from the backstage entrance to the CTI showroom. Heartbreak is able to determine that the drink won't be canned or packaged until just before the presentation. Apparently the drink mixture turns sour after less than an hour. CTI has solved this problem for the consumer market pretty brilliantly; the cans will come with a thin membrane separating the drink mixture, which breaks and mixes the drink ingredients when shaken violently. But for the presentation itself, CTI isn't taking any chances, and so will be preparing the final mixture about 20 minutes prior to the event.

After about three hours, Heartbreak is very confident that he can navigate the other Runners anywhere they want to go, both in the public areas and the (more extensive) restricted/employees only areas.

Rubberneck

First Post
Saint silently swears to himself and dismisses the virtual world, it fades away. He opens the desk drawer and retrieves a holstered revolver, tucking it into his waistband in the pit of his back he leaves his office, locking it behind him, and opens the front door. More than once she has had suitors follow her home trying to get lucky in her drunken stupor and Saint has had to chase them off, much to her delight. Her craving for attention subdued.

"Come in sis."

Mosier

First Post
10th December, 2011 - 19th and Broadway - Denver, CO - 1:00pm

The Runners have assembled at the O-K-Coffee, just north across E 19th street from the Crash Test Industries campus. The coffee shop is a small, single-story building bordered on three sides by a chain link fence. A used car lot is on the other side of the fence. Inside the shop is a single table with four seats. There isn't enough room for any more. The barista is an unshaven young punk rocker, with a purple mohawk and a tee shirt from an obscure death metal/punk fusion band called "Soul Jar." He's wearing a sticker on his chest, with the words "Hello! My name is:" printed on it. The name "Earl" has been smeared like finger paint on the name tag. The group watches Earl serve a few customers, who all quickly leave with their coffee, showing no signs of wanting to sit at the table.

At this time, Runners should describe how they arrived at the shop. The place has a parking lot just barely big enough to accommodate the Runners' vehicles.

When Earl notices the group assembling at his shop, he moves over to the doorway. "Alek sent you, right?" he says in with an affected gravelly "rock star front man" tone. He flips a switch, and the sign outside changes from OPEN to CLOSED. He turns the light down a bit, and the reactive glass in the windows becomes nearly opaque from the outside. The Runners can see out just fine, straight to the north side of the CTI campus, and the elaborate hedging all the runners discovered last night. "He paid for an hour. Whether you freaks are done or not-" he glances appreciatively at Casper, and winks "-the store's back open at 2 oclock."

Earl closes the door behind him as he leaves. For a moment, there's an awkward, uncomfortable feeling that comes with being in strange company, until the shop's menu screen flickers off, and Poseidon's icon appears.

"Don't mind me," Aleksander says. "In fact, just pretend I'm not even here until you need me. I just want to see how the planning goes."

TillForPie

First Post
Skinny is likely the first of the runners to arrive, parking his filthy Suzuki Mirage in the tiny O-K-Coffee parking lot.

The others find him sleeping with his face in his arms at the table. He's wearing a bright yellow knee-length rain slicker, its hood bunched up at his neck, with lots of layers of winter clothing underneath. He's reminiscent of a cancer patient or a Holocaust victim: Incredibly thin with pale skin and a shaved head. He stirs and wakes as the others take their seats at the table and a look at his face doesn't provide any reassurance - he's wearing a paper medical mask over his nose and mouth and he has massive dark bags under his green eyes.

"'Sup."

Rubberneck

First Post
Saint is the next to arrive, parking his Honda Citizen next to the sport bike. Saint steps out and scans the area for a second, then heads for the front door. Saint looks about 6'2, 200 pounds and in good shape. He looks to be in his late 20's early 30's and is currently wearing jeans, a tight fitting dark green t-shirt, and a genuine leather trench coat. He has a close cut military style haircut and a goatee that wraps around his mouth.

He enters the coffee shop and sees the decrepit guy at the table and is almost certain he's at the wrong place. Either that or he's the first to arrive. When addressed Saint looks behind him, then back at the man at the table slightly confused only then realizing that the man at the table is part of the crew he's here to meet.

"Ugh hey, I'm Saint. Good to meet you."

TillForPie

First Post
Skinny makes a noncommittal sound. "We got a game plan?" His voice is muffled by his mask. He pushes away from the table and leans back in his chair with his arms crossed over his chest, his yellow slicker squeaking with each movement. He's young, probably still in his 20s, but clearly in poor health - he coughs before continuing. "Or what?"

Rubberneck

First Post
"We should probably wait for the others to arrive to see what they've made of the files Aleksander has provided. From what I can tell the bulk of their security forces are in the form of Doberman drones, easy to deal with but get enough of them on your tail and they are bound to overpower, with numbers comes strength. Each squadron of drones comes with one human guard as well. I've discovered a balcony overlooking the presentation room, which could be a fun place to cause mayhem, as well as fire exits, including one in the presentation room. They are concealed by hedges. Other than that I haven't formulated any type of plan. I'm more of a 'go loud and give everyone lead poisoning' kinda guy. You come up with anything?"

Saint takes his seat across from Skinny and awaits his response and the arrival of the others.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Heartbreak

[section]
A silver and black Suzuki Mirage idles past the O-K Coffee store. Its driver turns his head and examines the parking lot and the building in the brief moment before he's passed. A few minutes later the same Mirage pulls into the tiny lot. The driver stops and balances, legs straddling the bike, with an impassive face turned towards the store. His eyes are covered by dark glasses and he is thin. Very thin, and though the padded, black, biker jacket he wears fills him out a little 'Skinny' would not be an inappropriate name for him, too. The strangest thing about him is his ears: long and pointed like some sort of elf fanboy. Or those mutant babies that have been in the news so much lately.

The man, maybe in his mid-twenties, continues to sit in the lot. He fumbles in the inside pocket of his jacket and pulls out the stub of a cigarette. He lights it and takes a few puffs, all that's left of it, then drops it to the ground and grinds it out under his boot. Swinging his leg over the bike he adjusts a satchel and heads to the door. He pushes it open, steps inside, and looks around.

Up close the tattoos on his hands and neck are obvious.

"I'm Heartbreak."

He sits at one of the open seats and props his elbows on the table.

[/section]

Shayuri

First Post
Casper was the last one to the meeting. She hurried up to the door and let herself in with the combination of haste and furtiveness that any student late to lecture hall would know all too well. She was a slim, athletic woman with mocha brown skin and long black hair that hung straight down her shoulders and a little ways down her back. She had a pair of sunglasses on, a blue jacket made to look like old-style denim, and jeans. Apart from her retro chic, nothing seemed out of place at first glance...but a trained eye might note the slight bulk of an armored vest under her shirt, or the bulge under her jacket at the small of her back, and up her sleeve.

"Sorry I'm late," she said as she went to the table and took a seat. "Train got delayed. I'm Casper. What did I miss?"

Remove ads