Awakening Apocalypse - Shadowrun 5E setup discussion (Recruiting)

TillForPie

First Post
Yup. And I believe you can save up to 7 of it if you'd like. Don't forget about negative/positive qualities that can change the karma total, and that you can't go over the character generation caps (6 for skills, etc) with starting karma.

Buying skill points...What does it cost to buy the engineering group at 3? Also, if I want to purchase an individual skill like navigation, what does that cost? I spent maybe twenty minutes thumbing through my rulebook trying to figure out what skills cost what points and, while I saw lots of info on skills and specializations, I didn't really see basic info for dummies.

TillForPie

First Post
Karma costs are on page 107.

It costs an amount of karma equal to New Rating x 2 to improve individual skills. So to increase your Club skill from rating 3 to 4 would cost 8 karma. Skill groups cost New Rating x 5. So to increase your Engineering skill group from rating 0 to 3 would cost 30 karma.

There isn't a piloting skill group. All the skill groups are listed on page 90. You'd have to purchase the various pilot skills (Aerospace, Exotic Vehicle, Ground Craft, Walker, and Watercraft) individually.

Shayuri

First Post
He's right on both counts, though if you're still spending your initial skill point allotment during character generation (from your Skill priority assignment) those are bought on a 1 to 1 basis.

I've done just about all I can for Mac, except possibly Contacts. And, I suppose, further tweaks to her equipment list (I spent all but roughly 5,000 of her 75,000 nuyen). I e-mailed Mac's stats to Mosier. I'll wait to hear back from him before proceeding any further.

I will be a conference Tuesday through Friday, and probably will be unlikely to post much until Thursday evening.

Mosier

First Post
It has been brought to my attention that I have overlooked a couple of rules, especially when it comes to combat. I was under the mistaken impression that SS weapons were the only type of pistols that could not use two simple actions to fire twice in the same phase. The actual rules are that NO simple-action attack can be combined with another simple action attack. A "multiple targets" action can be used to split your dice pool between two rolls, but the remaining simple action must be spent doing something other than attacking.

Another rule I missed is that single-shot weapons (like Saint's revolver) are immune to recoil. All other weapons keep accumulating recoil until the user spends an entire action phase not-shooting. So to recap, here are the strengths and weaknesses of the fire modes:

Single Shot (SS) - No recoil
Semi-auto (SA) - can use a complex action to fire a burst (3 bullets - giving the enemy a penalty to defense)
Burst Fire (BF) - fires a 3 bullet burst using a simple action (instead of a complex action, like SA do)
Long Burst (LB) - a burst-fire weapon can use a complex action to fire 6 bullets, giving an even greater penalty to defense
Full Auto (FA) - complex action, 10 bullets, extreme penalty to defense

I'll begin enforcing the above rules in the next chapter. Please accept my apologies! This edition of Shadowrun is new to me.

Remove ads