Awarding XP: Animal Companion, Familiar, Cohort?

delericho

Legend
Right, I understand that if the PCs defeat an NPC druid, they don't gain XP for also defeating the animal companion - it is considered part of the same challenge. If the PCs defeat an NPC wizard, they don't gain XP for defeating the familiar, for the same reason.

My question is this: if the PCs defeat an NPC with the Leadership feat, do they gain XP for also defeating the cohort, or not?

Following the same logic would suggest not, but Leadership is probably 'cheaper' than either of the other two options, and the cohort significantly more powerful, so that would suggest that they should get XP for defeating the cohort. However, that in turn short-changes the NPC who has invested in the Leadership feat.

There is a third option, of course: that the Leadership is only intended for PC use, and NPCs shouldn't take it. Which is a valid response, but not one I see spelled out in the DMG.

Please note that I'm looking for an answer that is as close to the RAW as possible here. I'm not really looking for a workable house rule, or advice to switch to a freeform XP scheme.

Thanks.

Thanee

First Post
I would give XP for cohorts. They also gain XP, so they are a bit more than just a part of the character who attracted them. :)

Leadership only gives you the ability to attract a cohort and makes sure the cohort is friendly towards you, the cohort is still a standard NPC like any other.

Bye
Thanee

PrinceZane

First Post
You said the cohort is significantly more powerful...

Is it indeed a cohort or a "fellow minion"? If it's some minor cohort, I would say no. But if he can put up a fight and "hold his own" then I would be tempted to put him in for xp/treasure sake.

I mean, if the NPC is a CR 10 with a cohort of CR 6... why is that any different from a CR 10 Commander with his "most trusted soldier" at a CR 6? Obviously the 2 soldiers would put up a fight so the xp would be awarded as both.

delericho

Legend
PrinceZane said:
Is it indeed a cohort or a "fellow minion"? If it's some minor cohort, I would say no. But if he can put up a fight and "hold his own" then I would be tempted to put him in for xp/treasure sake.

17th level NPC, with a sufficient Leadership score to attract an 11th or 12th level cohort.

Oh, and this is opposed by 17th level PCs. So, by himself the cohort is not a significant threat to the PCs. However, in concert with the main NPC, he might prove a deadly complication.

PrinceZane

First Post
Hmm.. I might give them XP for it. Doesn't necessarily have to be full xp, could just be extra circumstance xp or story xp or something. Granted by itself it would be ripped to shreads, but it might be able to get a few things (ranged attacks, help flank, etc)

Encountered separetely, a cohort is just another NPC, and defeating them earns the PCs XP.

Encountered with the character to whom they are a cohort, they are a class feature.

Look at it this way: the cohort may provide a slight advantage to the NPC with the leadership score, but at an opportunity cost. That NPC (w/ leadership feat) has given up improved Initiative or dodge or widen spell or extra rage or some other equally valuable feat to have this cohort. They should afford her some benefit, but not enough to increase EL. (Though, if the presence of the cohort makes the encounter so much more difficult that it increases the challange, i.e. deadliness, of an encounter the DM should increase XP awarded ad hoc, but still shouldn't change the CR/EL.

Remove ads