• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Awesome Spell Combos

Nvvyn

First Post
I am trying to explore new horizons with my mage, sooo Anyone have some awesome spell combo's they like to throw together? Post em' up, thanks :)

Drawmack

First Post

Magic Mouth, Silent Image & Sleep.

This needs to be done somewhere that the scenario seems innocuous like a house or an inn.

A guy is sitting at a table drinking some tea. When someone approaches the guy invites the person to have some tea. Soon as the person sits down in the other chair sleep is cast on them.

See how powerful the strategic 3rd level wizard can be?

Nvvyn

First Post
Thats a really cool low level strat, which is pretty much what I'm seeking. I have also been exploring some variants on touch attacks. I'm really likeing bull str, iron fist, corrosive grasp. Then grapple and do some great damage. Works better if your perhaps a half-dragon and can get off bite attacks every round.

Tiberius

Explorer
I'm a real big fan of Disintegrate followed by a Gust of Wind. Tough to pull off, but worth it if one of the PCs is being irksome. Or if you just want a particularly nasty trap. Opening a Gate to some rather nasty plane above someone and using Reverse Gravity is fun as well. Delayed Blast Fireball + dome-shaped Wall of Force (in that order) = no Reflex save in my book. Prismatic Wall/Sphere + Telekinesis is similarly destructive.

-Tiberius

Drawmack said:

Magic Mouth, Silent Image & Sleep.

This needs to be done somewhere that the scenario seems innocuous like a house or an inn.

A guy is sitting at a table drinking some tea. When someone approaches the guy invites the person to have some tea. Soon as the person sits down in the other chair sleep is cast on them.

See how powerful the strategic 3rd level wizard can be?
Why do they fail to notice that sleep is being cast on them? What happens if they ask the man's name before sitting down? It it was a Silent Sleep, I'd buy this as viable.

s/LaSH

First Post
At mid-low levels, the mage in the party I DM came up with something pretty nasty: the Vampiric Otter Of Doom!

The only exotic component here was the otter, a familiar. The party was engaged in melee, and the otter (for some reason) was the only one that could engage a distant enemy. First round, mage casts true strike, choosing the otter as the recipient (as you can). Second round, vampiric touch, again choosing the otter and letting it do the attack.

I thought that was cool, so I allowed it. It certainly put the mage back in good health.

And I came up with this one over on the How Would A Demon Queen Defend Her Palace? thread:

Pit trap in a corridor. Deep, deep hole. If you look at the ceiling above it, you see some peculiar markings. If you look at the bottom, you see identical peculiar markings. As it turns out, they're linked teleportation circles. If you fall down the hole, you hit the bottom, take damage, get ported, and the next round find yourself at the top again and fall and take damage. The only problem I see with this is that some DMs might not allow a teleportation circle on the ceiling, but I say, it's vicious enough to work. It's not actually a combo, but it certainly isn't the accepted use for a spell...

I'd read this one in one of the Story Hours, The Liberation of Tehn (a thread chock full of vicious nastiness, on both sides of the Screen ;)):

Acid Cloud and Blade Barrier; The Fog (if I remember this right) not only does the damage from the spell itself, it slows you down so that you can suck up even more "Divine Dicing" goodness. The group in question was ambushing a fort full of (Hill?) Giants and friends, perhaps even a revisit of the old G1 module. Caught a room full if I'm not mistaken, and it wasn't at all pretty.

Lemme see if I can't go find a link to the story/post. Here it is

And for the truely lazy, here's the pertinent part (but you should go read it anyhow! :p) :

After a few moments, the doors to the greathouse burst open, and a most fearsome giant emerges-a hill giant, to be sure, but dressed entirely in the ceremonial regalia of a Stonefister chieftan. The creature's spit flecks in his thin, patchy beard, and he howls a cry of rage and fear as he charges through the opening. Directly behind him is the remainder of his clan, filling the doorway, and the building beyond.

None of them get more than ten feet from the door, as Jespo's acid fog slows, then stops their movement altogether. Dabus' blade barrier appears within the fog cloud, but its steady chopping sound is rapidly drowned out by the anguished screams of the giants trapped within. Inside a burning acidic fog, they are cut hundreds of times until they bleed out and die.

Hatchling Dragon

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Cloudkill followed by a hemispherical Wall of Force. If the trapped creature(s) can't teleport or dimension door & lack resistance to poison, they take a minimum of 90d10 poison damage by the time the spells end, if cast by the minimum lvl caster (9th).

First Post
hmmm

ooohhh this is fun

for this u need to be ninth level minimum
ok first you use the feat twin spell, to twin the spell Spirit Worm(1st lvl spell, from MofF i think) which does 1pt of con damage every round for 5 rnds, folowed by polymorph other into a fish if u wish to kill, or into a clam if u want them to suffer

shilsen said:
Cloudkill followed by a hemispherical Wall of Force. If the trapped creature(s) can't teleport or dimension door & lack resistance to poison, they take a minimum of 90d10 poison damage by the time the spells end, if cast by the minimum lvl caster (9th).

Combine the combo I related with yours and you've got a recipie for a truely huge batch of Whup-arse. If it weren't for spell resistance even a (minor) God would flinch at the mere though of this combo.

Both Twin Spell as well as Delay Spell (lets you set a 'detonation delay' if I remember correctly) feats are perfect for solo performances of this Masterpiece of Mayhem. I'll assume you're Hasted when trying something this complicated of course.

Hatchling Dragon

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads