Awfully Alarmed About Armour

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Heavy Metal Armor:
Full Maille: 16 + 1/2 DEX
Field plate: 17 + 1/2 DEX
Jousting plate: 18 + 1/2 DEX
Actually, Heavy Metal armor has a long and storied tradition of providing minimal coverage. Evidence below.

81390705.jpg

Njall

Explorer
I'm fine with heavy armor not providing the absolute highest AC, as long as it's still on par with the highest AC achievable in light/medium armor.
After all, plate armor was conceived to fight human opponents wielding human sized weapons; I doubt that when facing something the size of a grizzly, wielding a bigass axe, it would be as effective: just dodging the hell outta the way might prove more useful than hoping your armor can absorb and disperse the force of the blow, and dodging is easier when you don't have a frickin' greathelm blocking half your field of view.

However, if wearing heavy armor is supposed to be a class feature, then it should be better than light and medium armor; I don't know, maybe let it grant a bonus to damage due to the fact that you're wearing 15 kg of steel, or a bonus to str and con saving throws because you're encased in steel. Whatever, just give heavy armor users something to make it worthy of the name of "class feature".
AC 7? Doesn't cut it, IMHO. Not even close.

Last edited:

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned

Too complex. Just too complex. Keep it dead simple. This is D&D.

-YRUSirius

Exactly. Add +20 to the fighter's maximum HP when he dons the armor

simple enough for you?

I would also give a -1 to hit with the plate, because let's face it, you ARE more clumsy with it on. -2 if wearing the armor untrained. Since +ses and -ses are very hard to come by in this edition, it would be a huge disadvantage for low-str people to wear plate if not trained properly, and not only that even with training, should be trading a bit of offense potential for defense. I'd rather be able to kill an enemy 5% slower than 5 enemies get to kill me 20% faster.

EDIT : wait, not really sure that'd work with healing..sigh

Maybe a simple DR mechanic would be best. I'd trade -1 to hit per DR, mitigated by 1 for training, 2 for training + expertise (theme bonus at a certain level). so a guy in splint mail, with DR 2, training in medium armor and with the fighter theme for heavy armor fighting, would have no penalty...but a full plate with DR 5 would be insanely slow. Magic would reduce the penalty by 1 per +, so a fighter, at say, level 5 or so, with "Armor training 1", would have like -2 to hit. He'd have to be maybe 9th level to fight in full plate +1 with no to-hit penalty.

I'm comfortable with some kobold NEVER being able to hurt me with his dagger, after I spent 1500gp and a month waiting for my iron man suit. the little buggers would have to get their ogre friend to come give me a few whacks, or push me into a pit or a pool of acid. Bad, bad little doggies

Last edited:

Derren

Hero

simple enough for you?

I would also give a -1 to hit with the plate, because let's face it, you ARE more clumsy with it on. -2 if wearing the armor untrained. Since +ses and -ses are very hard to come by in this edition, it would be a huge disadvantage for low-str people to wear plate if not trained properly, and not only that even with training, should be trading a bit of offense potential for defense. I'd rather be able to kill an enemy 5% slower than 5 enemies get to kill me 20% faster.

Maybe a simple DR mechanic would be best. I'd trade -1 to hit per DR, mitigated by 1 for training, 2 for training + expertise (theme bonus at a certain level). so a guy in splint mail, with DR 2, training in medium armor and with the fighter theme for heavy armor fighting, would have no penalty...but a full plate with DR 5 would be insanely slow. Magic would reduce the penalty by 1 per +, so a fighter, at say, level 5 or so, with "Armor training 1", would have like -2 to hit. He'd have to be maybe 9th level to fight in full plate +1 with no to-hit penalty.

I'm comfortable with some kobold NEVER being able to hurt me with his dagger, after I spent 1500gp and a month waiting for my iron man suit. the little buggers would have to get their ogre friend to come give me a few whacks, or push me into a pit or a pool of acid. Bad, bad little doggies

And what happens when a fighter with 19HP takes off the armor? Or when a fighter who has only lost 15 HP takes off his armor. How much of "his" HP has he lost? And at which rate does armor HP heal?

Also, who says that you are more clumsy in armor? Thats a (common) misconception (as would be that you are very slow in heavy armor)
[sblock]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqC_squo6X4]How to Mount a Horse in Armor and Other Chivalric Problems - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S_Q3CGqZmg&feature=related]Gladiatoria : Part 1/6 : Swordfight in Armour : Hammaborg - YouTube[/ame]
[/sblock]

PS: A dagger was still considered a dangerous weapon for someone in plate armor, especially when swarmed. More so than a sword.

YRUSirius

First Post
Nope, still too complex.

Nothing beats the simplicity of adjusting values instead of introducing new kind of values that behave in a different kind of way than the already established values.

-YRUSirius

B.T.

First Post

simple enough for you?

And this is simpler than giving the fighter an additional +1 to AC?

slobo777

First Post
I expect that:

1) AC bonuses for light/heavy will vary from the playtest original values.

2) We will see differences between light and heavy armour appear in themes and backgrounds, with text like "Whilst you are wearing heavy armour, then [benefit]". Light armoured character will get benefits that are in line with being agile. Heavy armoured characters will get benefits that bring to mind resilience.

3) There *may* be an arms and armour module which goes more in depth, and creates more interesting differences between the types (or even individual pieces) of armour.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
I would love that

But I don't see how you can balance the game properly with new armor systems tacked on in optional modules.

I get what you guys are saying...keep things simple. But things should be as simple as they possibly can, but NO SIMPLER. If heavy armor gets just +ses to AC over what the current playtest values are...that's fine. But then light armor wearers will start complaining that they get hit too often, or that the fighters get hit too seldom, or whatever...

I just agree with the OP that the days of Dex is a god stat should be over.

Remove ads