• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Axis Island's blue sun

efreund

Explorer
Can someone help illuminate what's up with the blue sun occasionally seen on Axis Island? There's at least three planar fluctuations that are scripted to occur, and they all involve yellow frogs and the blue sun. It's clear Axis isn't randomly linking to lots of other places, but this place in particular.

When the party hooks up with Nathan Jierre, he reveals that coincidentally he's been studying a very distant blue star, and the text otherwise says they're related.

So, two questions:

1) Why does merely studying this blue sun world cause Axis Island to respond to it? What is the connection between Nathan's research and the island "tuning in" to this world? Why this world in particular, and why now?

2) What is this blue sun world? Is there any more information on it anywhere? I admit I haven't read through the later acts in as much detail, but I wasn't able to see it re-referenced in the "new cosmology" section in Godmind.

Because the real question I'm trying to answer is this: if the party makes nice with Nathan Jierre and he decides to tell them all about his research, what does he know and is willing to tell his saviors?

Elfshire

First Post
The world in question is later revealed to be Mojang, the planet that eventually takes up the role as the plane of Life in the Obscurati's first attempt at changing the world. It has the aspect of Artifice, and thereby allows plant life to be tweaked and tended like machines. Nathan is studying it very intently due to its aspect, which at least some of the Ob highly value later in Chapter 7.

My impression is that Axis Island is prone to planar fluctuations in general because it hosts the Axis Seal - an ancient but hastily-built device which has since been damaged in at least one observable place. As to why it specifically links to Mojang during Chapter 1 (aside from that it makes for good foreshadowing), that I couldn't tell you.

Edit: I'm also pretty sure that Nathan knows only that he was asked to look into this plane by his superiors. He doesn't know he's working for the Obscurati, and he certainly doesn't know anything about the Axis Seal.

What Elfshire said. Plus, the planar fluctuations are specifically pointing to Mojang because that's where the Ob's telescope is pointed, and there's just some natural sympathetic energy that leaks onto the island.

efreund

Explorer
Sorry to necro, but my PCs are starting to ask some questions here.

Is Mojang the same star as Mishados, the star that the Skyseer PC "must catch" in the vision she receives on Cauldron Hill in book 2? They're both blue, have to do with life, and are somewhat obscure, so I'm wondering if they are indeed intended to be the same star/planet.

Remove ads