Azwan, God of War and Nobility

Rystil Arden

First Post
In older polytheistic religions, the gods were open for interpretation because often they were interpretations of natural phenomina, so allowing for some variety among worshipers I don't think is too bad.

Indeed, most religions embraced and accepted different tellings of certain myths, or differences in worship, and they would tack on descriptive or place-name adjectives for the new aspects created, like the Greeks. Only an incredibly evil and controlling religion would label the differences as a heresy or schism and proceed to kill the new guys, and fortunately, Aswan is Lawful Good. Now, for a Lawful Evil LEW deity, beware the mark of heretic!

orsal

LEW Judge
Rystil Arden said:
Indeed, most religions embraced and accepted different tellings of certain myths, or differences in worship, and they would tack on descriptive or place-name adjectives for the new aspects created, like the Greeks.

Indeed, most religions have god(s) who are only "known" through stories retold through the generations. D&D gods, however, make themselves much more evident. I therefore think it a mistake to use the real world as an example for a D&D pantheon in respect to heterodoxy.

Rystil Arden

First Post
orsal said:
Indeed, most religions have god(s) who are only "known" through stories retold through the generations. D&D gods, however, make themselves much more evident. I therefore think it a mistake to use the real world as an example for a D&D pantheon in respect to heterodoxy.
In a D&D pantheon, all branches of a faith would be accepted by a Good religion unless the god himself showed his disfavour. That's what makes it easier--instant feedback :D

Endovior

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Indeed, most religions embraced and accepted different tellings of certain myths, or differences in worship, and they would tack on descriptive or place-name adjectives for the new aspects created, like the Greeks. Only an incredibly evil and controlling religion would label the differences as a heresy or schism and proceed to kill the new guys, and fortunately, Aswan is Lawful Good. Now, for a Lawful Evil LEW deity, beware the mark of heretic!

Only an incredibly evil and controlling religion? I could name a few major RL religions that have done so... and I doubt you'd go so far as to name them 'incredibly evil and controlling'.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Endovior said:
Only an incredibly evil and controlling religion? I could name a few major RL religions that have done so... and I doubt you'd go so far as to name them 'incredibly evil and controlling'.
Oh, you'd be surprised, I think, but I won't do it on this board. I only talk about fantasy religions here :) I don't have a Circus Maximus account, but if you'd like, we could both sign up and talk about it over there ;)

Remove ads