D&D General [B/X] The Original Known World, before Mystara. A Secret History

shesheyan

Explorer
The internet is a wonderful place. Yesterday I found this 2015 article by Lawrence Schick, co-creator of the Original Known World with Tom Moldvay. I always thought The Known World was created for the Expert set. It was in fact Moldvay's and Schick's D&D home-brew world created well before they became employees of TSR.

The “Known World” D&D Setting: A Secret History
The most striking thing is that the map is very different from the Mystara map. I actually prefer the original map.

As a follow up you can read the 2015 series of three interviews James Mishler did with Lawrence Schick further detailing the Original Known World. Mishler also did a wonderful job of recreating the OKW maps with Hexographer.

From the hints dropped here and there about alignments, racial level limits, interbreeding of intelligent humanoids and role playing, I would have liked playing with them.

It is sad Tom Moldvay died so young. We are missing his half of the history of the Original Known World.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Thanks for sharing.

It's really satisfying to see that The Known World/ Mystara setting continues to be a collaborative effort even to this day.

shesheyan

Explorer
The Original Known World redrawn in Hexographer by James Mishler
tvMwzqu.png

Western Portion
XccoBJr.png

Eastern Portion
SiJsmp7.png

Remove ads