• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

B09S displaced Fey-book or Giant-book

DMH

First Post
RichGreen said:
Which is the best one? Might pick something up while the RPG Now sale is on.

It depends on what you want out of it. Bastion's Faeries is D&D fey whereas Goodman's Complete Guide to Fey is historical fey is D&Dese.

The_Gut

First Post
Heh. I tend to avoid WOTC books because they are poorly written, and tend to be ill balanced compared to third party products. To each their own, I guess.

Kunimatyu said:
Lords of Madness is regularly touted as one of the best 3.5 books, and yet it's not exactly packed to the gills with crunch.

However the crunch it does have is relatively balanced. I dont find that as frequently in 3rd party stuff, aside from Malhavoc Press. Bastion Press IMO published a number of books that just didnt quite seem to get d20 balance at all. Great fluff, but pretty bad mechanics (as in far too weak). Mongoose frequently seemed the opposite end of the scale.

Voadam

Legend
Fey books:

Bastion Press Faeries

Goodman Games Complete Guide to Fey

Avalanche Press The Little People

Mongoose Publishing Encyclopedia Divine Fey Magic

Clockwork Golem Children of the Fey

Dog Soul Publishing The Underhill Court

Dog Soul Publishing Treasures of the Sidhe

AEG The Sidhe Book of Nightmares

Lion's Den Press Classic Fey

Arthaus Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey

A few things with fey elements that come to mind

Fantasy Flight Games Mythic Races has a fairy race and details fey courts and fey plane

Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary has a fey touched template and a bunch of fey

Throwing Dice Games Joe's Book of Enchantment has a little fey stuff.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Voadam said:
Fey books:
[. . .]
Nice list! :cool:

I think there might be some more though. . .

Morningstar (from Goodman Games) springs to mind, for example. Fey elveses, sir. :) Note: it's an entire campaign setting, of course. So fey elves are just one small part.

Others? . . . hmm . . .

Nepenthe

First Post
Geoff Watson said:
Huh? "2nd party" refers to the customers.

Geoff.

That depends on if you are looking at the business relationships between WotC and yourself or WotC and the gaming industry in general. If the latter, 2nd parties are those with a specific licensing agreement on a D&D IP (that requires WoTC approval), such as MWP for Dragonlance, Kenzerco for the D&D branded books etc. Third parties are those relying on OGL and not having other relations with WotC.

F5

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
...It's not a viable "tweak" to 3.5--it would require a complete rebuild from the ground up...

Ari, why do you say that? What other parts of 3.5 would have to be rebuilt to make a CR system like that work? It would require a complete rebuild of the creatures in the Monster Manual from the ground up, but I don't see how a better-streamlined CR system would neccessarily impact the rest of the 3.5 ruleset. Or am I mis-interpereting what you said?

I'd love to see a monster book on Fey and/or giants. I'm more interested in these hypothetical books that were blurted out in a podcast than I am about anything I've seen in the WotC catalog so far for next year...

Voadam

Legend
Aus_Snow said:
Nice list! :cool:

I think there might be some more though. . .

Morningstar (from Goodman Games) springs to mind, for example. Fey elveses, sir. :) Note: it's an entire campaign setting, of course. So fey elves are just one small part.

Others? . . . hmm . . .

Don't have it and I'm not familiar with it except that it is by the same guy who did Complete Guide to Fey and that CGtF was I think originally designed as a possible supplement for Morningstar.

I'm sure there are tons of d20 products with some fey connections, most monster books have at least one fey unless they are devoted exclusively to another creature type. For example Monsternomicon has the Grymalkin such as the cask imp and other gremlin types.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads