(B1) In Search of Adventure!

diaglo

Adventurer
olshanski said:
I cannot tell you how many characters I killed with the key at the bottom of the acid pool.

me either. but it sure was more than fingers and toes.

you jump in acid and die. no save.

well it didn't matter b/c 0 hp = dead. and 1 d6 for hps at 1st lvl pretty much meant death anyways.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Philotomy Jurament said:
B1 was In Search of the Unknown. In Search of Adventure was the compilation "supermodule" of B1-9 that left out some of best material from certain modules. In fact, In Search of Adventure didn't even include the text of B1 -- only the map.

I know this will probably brand me a heretic. . . but I actually liked In Search of Adventure better as it took modules that played like Tolkien on LSD or Whack-a-Mole with goblins and attempted to frame them in a context that made some sense, from a story perspective. Admittedly not very BD&D but, IME, far more satisfying.

jdrakeh said:
I know this will probably brand me a heretic. . . but I actually liked In Search of Adventure better as it took modules that played like Tolkien on LSD or Whack-a-Mole with goblins and attempted to frame them in a context that made some sense, from a story perspective. Admittedly not very BD&D but, IME, far more satisfying.
Huh, I thought the story felt forced (actually, I thought that with other supermodule compilations, too). In general, I like site-based modules without a lot of story; I'm not against story, but I like to integrate the module into the groups' own story, setting, et cetera.

I agree that some of the B-series modules weren't to my taste, though.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
TerraDave said:
The problem is that that is a basic adventure.

You want the good stuff? Get Judges Guild.

cavernsofthracia.jpg
modron.jpg
tegelmanor1.jpg

Don't wait!
Dammit! Those pictures just brought a tear to my eye, they did!

I had lots of fun with both Modron and Caverns of Thracia - I may have run Thracia over a dozen times. :) And who could forget The Mysterious Missing Chamber? And Tegel Manor has some of my fondest memories for running a dungeon style adventure, ever.

Yeah, they were printed on cheap newsprint, but they were thicker, cheaper, and gosh darn it! Just plain better adventures! (And now I feel old.)

I need to get the 3.X versions before it goes away.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump said:
I need to get the 3.X versions before it goes away.
The 3.X version of Caverns of Thracia is well-done. I'd suggest playing the original with OD&D rules, of course, but the d20 version isn't bad. ;) AFAIK, there isn't a d20 version of Tegel out. Necromancer Games plans to put out a 4E version of Tegel (and a 3.5 supplementary download). Of course, you can get the Gamescience version of the original Tegel Manor on PDF.

Since you seem to like Paul Jacquays adventures, you might look around for a copy of the Dungeoneer Compilation. (I mention it in my OD&D Essentials musing.) It includes a great "lost classic" Jacquays adventure, "Night of the Walking Wet." Noble Knight Games often has it in stock. (I got my mint, still in shrink.)

Incidentally, you can get a PDF of the original Modron or Citadel of Fire for free:
http://www.eostros.com/thieves/downloads/Modron.pdf
http://www.eostros.com/thieves/downloads/Citadel of Fire1.pdf

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
The 3.X version of Caverns of Thracia is well-done. I'd suggest playing the original with OD&D rules, of course, but the d20 version isn't bad. ;) AFAIK, there isn't a d20 version of Tegel out. Necromancer Games plans to put out a 4E version of Tegel (and a 3.5 supplementary download). Of course, you can get the Gamescience version of the original Tegel Manor on PDF.

Since you seem to like Paul Jacquays adventures, you might look around for a copy of the Dungeoneer Compilation. (I mention it in my OD&D Essentials musing.) It includes a great "lost classic" Jacquays adventure, "Night of the Walking Wet." Noble Knight Games often has it in stock. (I got my mint, still in shrink.)

Incidentally, you can get a PDF of the original Modron or Citadel of Fire for free:
http://www.eostros.com/thieves/downloads/Modron.pdf
http://www.eostros.com/thieves/downloads/Citadel of Fire1.pdf
Grrrr, I thought that I just hadn't seen Tegel Manor in the stores. :(
The Gamescience edition... was that the one that tried to avoid using actual D&D stats? I seem to recall it being better edited, with much higher production values, but being annoyed with the lack of useable stat blocks.

I ordered Thracia tonight.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads