• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E B10 Nights Dark Terror in 5e

Zardnaar

Legend
I didn't have any issues with the young black dragon in the Sanctuary of Elwyn the Ardent portion of B9 I think the characters were 5th level by that point and I know for sure they had hired on two other adventurers so there were 4 of them up against it.

What issues in conversion have you had? Did you use some method other than what I did, which was to just ignore everything in the original source except the age and color of the dragon and use the stat-block of the nearest possible found in the Monster Manual?

A few BECMI/AD&D adventures have older Dragons in them in in 5E you kind of have to use a young Dragon.

They had more age categories and the Dragons were weaker so in some wayts 3E for example you can get a Dragon vcloe to the required CR. There is a big jump in power between young and adult Dragons in 5E.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
A few BECMI/AD&D adventures have older Dragons in them in in 5E you kind of have to use a young Dragon.

They had more age categories and the Dragons were weaker so in some wayts 3E for example you can get a Dragon vcloe to the required CR. There is a big jump in power between young and adult Dragons in 5E.
Was that one of the differences between BECMI and AD&D?

In the AD&D reckoning of thing, where dragons had 12 age categories, the ones presented in the 5th edition monster manual cover age categories 1 (wyrmling), 3 (young), 6 (adult) and 10 (ancient) if you match up the ages of each category as presented in the two sources. So it made sense to me that taking the nearest equivalent would often mean trading a younger dragon in.

Zardnaar

Legend
Was that one of the differences between BECMI and AD&D?

In the AD&D reckoning of thing, where dragons had 12 age categories, the ones presented in the 5th edition monster manual cover age categories 1 (wyrmling), 3 (young), 6 (adult) and 10 (ancient) if you match up the ages of each category as presented in the two sources. So it made sense to me that taking the nearest equivalent would often mean trading a younger dragon in.

Yeah but a huge or colossal dragon in BECMI might have 27 hit points.

Even young 5E Dragons can TPK level 2 and 3 parties in 5E.

pemerton

Legend
I recently took a look at Nights Dark Terror and I really liked what I read. Has anyone ever run this in 5e?
It does look really fun to run, but yeah those mobs of goblins early on could be pretty tough. Just the very first encounter with the slavers on the boat looks really hard actually for a first level party.
I ran it converted to 4e, with a party of seven 1st level 4e PCs up to the point of the defence of the homestead, and then 5th PCs from then on.

I didn't use all the plot as set out, and I interpolated my own plot elements, but I converted all the goblin strongholds, the various tombs, the lost city with the gelationous cubes in the basement, etc.

There are a lot of memorable situations which I found 4e handled really well - the slavers attacking the boat on the river; the skirmish with the golbins to enter the homestead; the goblin assault on the homestead; etc. I would not encourage you to water these down. Rather, write them up and then work out what level PCs you need to make them work.

killerklown

osrdread.blogspot.com
How important in the connection between B10 and the background of Mystara, particularly the "Grand Duchy of Karameikos"...
In which setting did you guys run the module (5e or not)?

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
*Searching the pandius website will yield plenty of results for karameikos, Hutaaka, et al.

*DrivethruRPG has Gazateer 1 The Duchy of Karameikos which I recommend.

*Last but not least, many questions could probably be answered here or at the piazza message board
( Mystara - The Piazza )

All that being said, yes it is set in the Mystara universe and there's plenty of pre-written "canon" (for lack of a better word). But I think this setting is made to be home-brewed and you (the DM) can cherry pick the best ideas that work for you.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
If you're planning to run a Mystara-based campaign, check out this terrific fan-made sourcebook:

pemerton

Legend
How important in the connection between B10 and the background of Mystara, particularly the "Grand Duchy of Karameikos"...
In which setting did you guys run the module (5e or not)?
Zero importance. I ran it in 4e and used the placenames and maps but didn't need any backstory beyond what is in the module.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads