• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BAB to Skill based?

librarius_arcana

First Post
I need some good ideas to turn BAB to skills within the game

Wondered if you guys could come up with anything

Okay come on, what ya got? :)

Btw new guy in town, so no giving me a hard time :p

ValhallaGH

Explorer
What exactly are you after?
Replacing the BAB with a combat skill (or several such skills)?
Using a BAB check in place of certain skill uses, such as feinting?

Fieari

Explorer
The trouble with skill based BAB is that there's no "intermediate" skill progression between full and half...

One solution would be to have two different attack skills that are added together for the final result, with fighters getting both as class, rogues getting one as class, and wizards getting both as cross-class. The trouble here of course, is that you'd need to scale ACs up quite a bit too to cover this...

And then there's the fact that skill focus would become dangerous for combat...

While a skill based BAB would be cool, it might be tricky to pull off.

librarius_arcana

First Post
ValhallaGH said:
What exactly are you after?
Replacing the BAB with a combat skill (or several such skills)?
Using a BAB check in place of certain skill uses, such as feinting?

Shoot what ever you've got, if I can't use it, it may still inspire an idea in me or one of you guys :)

librarius_arcana

First Post
Fieari said:
While a skill based BAB would be cool, it might be tricky to pull off.

Very true, hence I ask ;)

You are not the first to think this would be cool, and one day someone will crack it,

Why not today :D

I've got an idea but it means rebuilding the skill system from scratch,

Raven Crowking

First Post
I use an excellent (IMHO) skill-based system, which I had posted on EnWorld before the crash. It does require some changes to armour, however, and a level-based defense bonus to make it work well.

RC

librarius_arcana

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
I use an excellent (IMHO) skill-based system, which I had posted on EnWorld before the crash. It does require some changes to armour, however, and a level-based defense bonus to make it work well.

RC

Well in my version, was thinking of using the related (melee) combat skill as also defence bonus

(AC would work as DR, DC (defence class (in this case)) would be your dex mod+ combat skill level+ 1d20 (as active defence instead of the average 10), any skill check that rolled higher beyond your DC would add to your damage, and help bypass armor (as DR)

if you get me :)

this is just a basic idea right now

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
One of the non-WotC-d20 products I have has a few skills that have a similar effect. For every 5 full ranks of Melee, Pistol, or Rifle, the appropriate BAB is raised by 1. It does treat armor as DR (sort of), and uses a Defense bonus like d20 Modern. Protection, Forbidden Kingdoms' version of Armor as DR reduces the damage, and can be summed with supernatural Damage Reduction when determining damage adjustment. Firearms have a Penetration stat, which is how much Protection the round can ignore (no effect on actual DR). Also, in FK, an Armor's weight class REDUCES your Defense.

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
Raven Crowking said:

Why not just make defense skill-based also?

New Skills:

Melee Attack (Str): Unarmed, Grapple, Knives, Clubs, Swords, Axes, Polearms, Spears, etc...

Ranged Attack (Dex): Bows, Crossbows, Slings, Knives, Spears, Axes, etc...

Parry (Str)

Dodge (Dex)

An attack check is just an opposed check between the appropriate Attack skill, and the defender's choice of Parry or Dodge. Fill in details from there.

Raven Crowking

First Post
In my version, all weapons skills can be used in various combat modes. Your skill ranks determine what bonuses you get to attack roll, damage roll, AC, and/or crit range. There are five combat modes, but not every weapon skill works with every mode.

For example, in the Standard Combat Mode, half your ranks go to attack and half your ranks go to damage, with any remainder going to the first case. Thus, if you had 5 ranks in Fencing, you would gain a +3 bonus to hit and +2 damage using the Standard Combat Mode.

The same character, fighting in the Defensive Combat Mode would instead gain +3 to hit and +2 to AC. In the Fully Defensive Combat Mode, he would gain +5 to AC. It adds an element of choice and swashbuckling to combats, without even requiring miniatures. :D

Remove ads